• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT: What Really Happens in Court When You Use "Freeman" Defenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ, at least for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSZR_KzNuM

A rather long excerpt of a trial for (among others) criminal assault on a police officer of a guy, (that may or may not be a regular poster on this site), who insists on defending himself using the typical "Freeman" ideas, eg, the court has no jurisdiction over crimes or that the original Constitution has to be provided in court.

Also a good primer on general courtroom/trial procedure for anyone brought up on Judge Judy and might be wondering how things work in the real world.

Hopefully, this will serve as a warning to anyone thinking of going down this path in the future.

Mass_Shyster

I did some work last summer on a case of tax evasion where def used a version of the freeman defense.

He's in prison now.

justalayman

If anybody is masochistic and wishes to review even more of the trial as well as the stop that initiated all of this, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgPjmsgedw&feature=relmfu

CdwJava

I had a yoyo do this sort of thing to me once upon a time ... unbelievable. Like we're going to read the stuff they hand us ... there are so many problems with doing that in the field - not the least of which is the officer's inability to evaluate it, legally.

And while I have not read all of Shapiro v. Thompson (cited by the poster of this video) it does not seem to be in any way applicable to a driver. It has to do with residency requirements for a welfare recipient. I am frequently stunned by the very narrow approach on cases held by these guys, and how they often parrot back cases without actually ever reading or completely comprehending them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">