• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reeBrelliM

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves....
What is the name of your state? Iowa

We the people, as citizens of the United States of America, are constantly having our constitutional rights violated, especially with regards to the 4th Amendment. Let's face it, if you are pulled over, and the officer wants to search your vehicle, that is just what he will do, regardless of wether you gave him permission to do so, or not (...and most certainly if not). They have loop-hole after loop-hole that they can, and often do use to completely violate peoples rights. It's a bunch of pathetic BS in my honest opinion, ...and I'm sure that I am not alone on this issue.

It's happened to me several times, here is just one example?

I was pulled over one night, I wasn't speeding, I have always worn my seat belt, even when it wasn't the law, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my car, all lights, and signals etc. were all in good working order. My drivers license status was valid, w/ no restrictions, the car had been just recently registered, and was valid also.

The officer walks up and asks for my license, insurance, and registration. No problem, as I had all of this information already to hand over to him, and without having to dig around to find anything. Then another officer had pulled up, and he got out of his car and walked over to the rear of my car on passenger side and just stood there (I assume so he could keep an eye on me by using my passenger door mirror) The first cop told me "Just sit tight, I'll be back with you in just a minute." Although, I wondered what I was pulled over for, I didn't really have the chance to ask, and he certainly didn't let me know. Then, after about 10 minutes, he comes back to my window and says, "Where were you heading just now?", I said "I was heading home sir, I only live 2 blocks away, ...is there some kind of problem?", he asked me if I had any illegal drugs or bombs, rocket launchers, hand grenades, or weapons of any kind in my vehicle that he needed to know about, naturally I chuckled a little as I said "No sir, I sure don't", he said, "Well then would you mind if I looked?", I said "Sir, with all due respect, I have answered your questions, I have been fully cooperative with you, but I have done absolutely nothing wrong, and if you don't have a reason to detain me, I would ask that you please let me be on my way as I am tired and have to work in the morning." He says, "...so you aren't gonna let me take a quick look?", I said, "Sir, I'm being honest with you, I do not have anything, I'm simply telling you that I don't particularly care to have you guys tear my car apart, ..I've seen on that TV show "COPS" where you guys just rip peoples cars all apart, and then don't put anything back, and have no regard for peoples property, not only that, but I'd just recently purchased this car, it is a rather nice vehicle, and I don't really care to have it all ripped apart, ...that's all". He says, "Ok, you just sit tight, I'll be right back with ya". He walks back to his squad car, and a few minutes later, returns back to my vehicle, he say's "Well, what I've got here is a citation for tinted windows, you will either need to appear in court at the time that's listed on the front side, or you can also sign the rear side and mail it with your payment for the amount of fine to the clerk of courts, ok you will need to sign the bottom by the X, this is NOT an admission of guilt, it simply means that you've had this explained to you, and that you understand"

I looked at him, I said "Sir, is this some kind of joke, because I do not even have tinted windows" he said "yes, the tint is too dark" I said, "I'm not trying to get jazzy with you or anything like that, BUT I have to challenge you on this, as there simply is NO TINT on my windows, ..at all. Don't you have one of those light meter tester gauge doo-hickeys to check tint with???" He said, "I do, but it is in the shop being calibrated, but I have been on the force long enough to know when tint is too dark" I said "Sir, the only tint that is on these windows, is within the door windows, and is constructed into the glass, it's called "Soft-Ray" by General Motors, it is not dark, and it certainly isn't anything that can be scraped off, it is made into the glass." He said, "Well, we shall let the guy in the black robe decide on that, but for now, you need to sign this citation." I was quite irritated by this point, and just said, "Whatever, but this is horse ****, and you know it, ....doesn't your partner have a tint gauge meter, if not, why don't you call on another unit to come and test it???" I ended up signing the damn ticket, and just as soon as I had handed his clipboard back to him, he said "Ok, now please step out of the vehicle and step around to the rear" I said "Excuse me?" He said it again, but with a little more firmness. I said "Now what?" he told me that he was going to look through the vehicle and that he would be carefull not to disturb anything. I said "But, I already mentioned to you that I was not giving you permission to search through my car" He said, "Yes, you did tell me no, however, Iowa state law says that after a citation has been issued for any reason, this is probable cause enough to conduct a search".

(You see what I mean now? Please read on, it gets better!)

After he searched through my car for 20 minutes, and had found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! He came to the rear of the car where I'd been standing with the other officer, and he says, "You can go ahead and give me back that copy of the citation I gave you, (so I then handed it to him) ...I'm gonna cut you a break on this, I appreciate that you have been honest with me, you are free to go now".

This was a complete violation of my rights, and a complete abuse of police powers.

THIS STORY IS 100% TRUE!!! THIS HAD HAPPENED RIGHT HERE IN SIOUX CITY, IOWA

...Our founding fathers of this country and who'd composed the document that we call "The Constitution of the United States of America", would certainly be rolling over in their graves in complete disgust if they even knew about half of what's become of this country.

H

hexeliebe

And why did you give the ticket back?

Why did you not report the incident to the city attorney with the police officer's names and/or badge numbers?

Why did you not drive immediately to a garage (yes, there are places open late that can test your windows) and have the windows tested.

The constitution does not GIVE you any rights unless you exercise them. If you want to come here to complain that's also your right. But you'll get no sympathy from me.

The only way to lose the rights granted to you by the constitution is to do nothing. And that's exactly what you did.

L

LiquidSky

Huh?

"We the people, as citizens of the United States of America, are constantly having our constitutional rights violated, especially with regards to the 4th Amendment"

Get used to it, it's about to get alot worse.

"Why did you not report the incident to the city attorney with the police officer's names and/or badge numbers?"

Do you seriously think that would make any difference? Do you ACTUALLY think the "city attorney" would lift a finger?
:confused:

R

reeBrelliM

hexeliebe said:
And why did you give the ticket back?

Why did you not report the incident to the city attorney with the police officer's names and/or badge numbers?

Why did you not drive immediately to a garage (yes, there are places open late that can test your windows) and have the windows tested.

The constitution does not GIVE you any rights unless you exercise them. If you want to come here to complain that's also your right. But you'll get no sympathy from me.

The only way to lose the rights granted to you by the constitution is to do nothing. And that's exactly what you did.
Hexeliebe - No disrespect intended, but I think that you may want to check into possibly taking a couple night classes on American History, maybe try to slip out of the 60's, ...at the very least, re-read the "Bill of Rights", "The Constitution of the United States of America", and "The Declaration of Independence". More specifically, read the Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Then re-read my story in the original post (top of page).

And as far as you not feeling any sympathy for me, ...that's ok, because I certainly wasn't looking for anyone to feel sympathetic, if anything, maybe just take a good look at what is, and has been going on all around you. It helps to put your self in someone elses shoes to maybe get a glimpse from a different perspective. POINT BLANK, what happened to me that night, could have easily have been you, and if you think there is really somewhere to get window tint checked at 11:00 pm here in Sioux City, then you obviously don't understand, ...hell, it's hard enough to find somewhere that would do any testing like that even during regular day-time.

You asked why I'd given the citation back to the officer? Well, that's really quite simple, I didn't want to take the ticket from him in the first place. Besides that, I didn't know what his intentions were at that point, and if I knew that he was gonna do that, I may have acted differently, it's hard to say now with hind sight.

In any event, read this below, you may even learn something........

***Bill of Rights***

< Amendment IV >

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Enough said.........

reeBrelliM

C

coosi

I think additional instructions should be posted above the text box

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you write can and may be used against you..." :D

HomeGuru

coosi said:
I think additional instructions should be posted above the text box

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you write can and may be used against you..." :D
**A: those are silent instructions that senior members follow.

H

hexeliebe

I think that you may want to check into possibly taking a couple night classes on American History, maybe try to slip out of the 60's
Constitutional Case Law, George Washington University, Washington D.C. 1978.

And no, you still did nothing to protect your rights. As I said, the constitution, the Bill of Rights even your birth do not confer upon you any specific rights. Unless you fail to grasp the language of the constitution.

Re-read it. Then pick up a dictionary and see what the words actually mean. You might be surprised.

In fact, the only things specifically mentioned in the constitution regarding individuals is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

So, until you can learn how to read, and until you decide to quit whining and start doing something for yourself, I'll stick to my original answer.

Now, where did that damn bong go to :D:D:D

R

reeBrelliM

hexeliebe said:
Constitutional Case Law, George Washington University, Washington D.C. 1978.

And no, you still did nothing to protect your rights. As I said, the constitution, the Bill of Rights even your birth do not confer upon you any specific rights. Unless you fail to grasp the language of the constitution.

Re-read it. Then pick up a dictionary and see what the words actually mean. You might be surprised.

In fact, the only things specifically mentioned in the constitution regarding individuals is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

So, until you can learn how to read, and until you decide to quit whining and start doing something for yourself, I'll stick to my original answer.

Now, where did that damn bong go to :D:D:D

hexeliebe - If you read my story as "whining", then you've got an interpretation problem. Also, your comments are so devoid of wisdom or logical good sense as to be almost laughable. Perhaps you should go frequent one of the comedian web forums, as you seem to be trying to entertain the readers here with your silly, cocky input. Although it's rather doubtful, these people here may think you are funny, HOWEVER, all that I've been able to decipher so far (and it's quite evident that I'm not alone), is that your comments regarding the issues here are a bit unrealistic, and seriously lack any common and/or logical sense. You've said nothing yet that could possibly be applied to any real-life situation (my story). Your a bit out-of-date. Just as LiquidSky had said, "do you REALLY think that by going to the city attorney with a badge number is gonna do any good," ...if so, then you living in fantasy land :rolleyes: , ...the city attorney wouldn't even lift a finger over something like this, primarily because it's a case of my word against the officers word. Your comments are simply not realistic, ..at all!!
I really didn't want to get into some big pissing contest with ya about it, as you are entitled to your own mis-interpretation of, what is, and what isn't our contitutional rights as U.S. citizens of this country.

The fact still remains, that my constitutional rights to be secure in my person, house, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, ...most certainly were violated.
It makes difference if I go to the city attorney, nor does it matter if I take any kind of action about this, ....it simply does NOT change the fact that my rights had been violated.

Your bong is probably up your ass, ...where you had it last. :D :D

H

hexeliebe

That's what I like about punk ass kids these days. They scream about their rights and yet do nothing to fight for them.

And that means you get what you ask for. NOTHING!

Bye Bye loser.

R

reeBrelliM

Yeah whatever, hex! ...I don't know who your refering to as, "kids" ....I'll consider the the source.

You asked why I gave the ticket back to the cop, ...real simple, because he'd asked me for it, ...besides that, I really didn't agree with the ticket in the first place. You know just as well as I do, hind-sight is always 20/20, ...it's real easy to say, "...well I would've done this, or that", but when it's actually happening to you, just as it happened to me, you probably would have done the same thing that I did.

I'm not easily intimidated by police presence, I sure wasn't just letting them push me around. My point is, if they want to search someone, something, or someplace, ...then that is just what they will do, there are so many loop-holes in our system that they use to circumvent, and then do whatever they want to do.

Also hex, when I started this thread, I wasn't asking for any help, and I certainly wasn't asking for any sympathy, ...it was posted because I was making a simple point, ...just as the title says "Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they knew what has been going on these days"

B

bini

reeBrelliM

I would like to help you out with this problem. Honestly I did not see a question that needed advise. I do however see and understand your view point. However this is an advice forum. To get advice you need to ask for it. Maybe I did not read your post correctly so please ask your question again and I will see if I can help you with your problem

Bini

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">