• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nncygrysn

What is the name of your state? California
My husband was arressted in 2000 in Georgia and was released on bail that night. He never showed up for his court date and now has a warrant. We have lived in California now since 2001 and he has been pulled over several times and each time they ask him if he is aware of the warrant in Georgia, which he claims "no." He believes they just disaapear after 7 years (like taxes) and I am trying to convince him otherwise. He cannot get a job anywhere and he does not think it is related to this. Please, can someone let him know this is not just going to disappear, and what are the steps that need to be taken to resolve this issue. Can he deal with it from here, or will he have to go to Georgia to take care of it?

Last edited:

racer72

A few years ago a guy was arrested on a 50 year old warrant. There is no SOL on warrants and it is likely the reason he cannot find work.

I think you should clarify.

If it is a felony warrant it will almost assuredly be there and active. If it is a misdemeanor warrant, YES it can be dropped after 5-7 years. Normally for lack of active by the prosecutor. :cool:

Last edited:

clubbed by med

Are you sure that police officers have told him that he has an outstanding warrant, WITHOUT subsequently arresting him?! I'm no lawyer or cop, but I'm pretty sure that warrants are orders for any law enforcement officer to immediately arrest the individual(s) named, no matter what state they are in OR what state the warrant is from. I have never heard of somebody being let go by a police officer once they were aware that that person had a warrant for their arrest (until now, that is). I mean, it's an "ARREST warrant." Seems a little fishy to me.

CdwJava

clubbed by med said:
Are you sure that police officers have told him that he has an outstanding warrant, WITHOUT subsequently arresting him?! I'm no lawyer or cop, but I'm pretty sure that warrants are orders for any law enforcement officer to immediately arrest the individual(s) named, no matter what state they are in OR what state the warrant is from. I have never heard of somebody being let go by a police officer once they were aware that that person had a warrant for their arrest (until now, that is). I mean, it's an "ARREST warrant." Seems a little fishy to me.
If the issuing agency will not confirm the warrant (i.e. agree to extradite), then the contacting agency will not make the arrest. Many warrants are entered into NCIC with specific extradition limits ... neighboring states, etc. If entered into NCIC, it almost certainly is something for which they WILL extradite, but just not from across the country.

I am a tad confused by the previous post saying that the warrant will go away after 5 to 7 years, though ... a warrant is removed from the system only if not renewed in NCIC, and the states tend to automatically renew them pending a notice from the issuing agency that they will no longer pursue the warrant and asking it be removed. I am not aware of GA's practice, but I doubt they just let their warrants expire.

- Carl

akarchie23

help

Hey I'm from texas and in colorado. I have an outstanding felony warrant from texas . Cops have stopped me here already and did not take me to jail. They said something about extradite and i just need to go take care of it which i plan on doing, but im saving now for a lawyer. Can i go to the dmv and get a drivers license?

If the issuing agency will not confirm the warrant (i.e. agree to extradite), then the contacting agency will not make the arrest. Many warrants are entered into NCIC with specific extradition limits ... neighboring states, etc. If entered into NCIC, it almost certainly is something for which they WILL extradite, but just not from across the country.

I am a tad confused by the previous post saying that the warrant will go away after 5 to 7 years, though ... a warrant is removed from the system only if not renewed in NCIC, and the states tend to automatically renew them pending a notice from the issuing agency that they will no longer pursue the warrant and asking it be removed. I am not aware of GA's practice, but I doubt they just let their warrants expire.

- Carl

CdwJava

Hey I'm from texas and in colorado. I have an outstanding felony warrant from texas . Cops have stopped me here already and did not take me to jail. They said something about extradite and i just need to go take care of it which i plan on doing, but im saving now for a lawyer. Can i go to the dmv and get a drivers license?
If your home license is suspended, you can go, but you likely will not get a license.

And, please start your own thread if you have additional questions.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">