• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of Stater- Unpaid Texas Public Intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonesin

I was recently in Austin, Texas visiting family and recieved a Public Intoxication Ticket- class C Misdemeanor. I live out of state and have no need to go back to Texas.

What happens if I don't pay the $275 fine? Does it go away after a certain amount of time? Will I get picked up because of it if pulled over out of state? Will an unpaid Misdemeanor show up in a background check?

I appreciate feedback

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was recently in Austin, Texas visiting family and recieved a Public Intoxication Ticket- class C Misdemeanor. I live out of state and have no need to go back to Texas.

What happens if I don't pay the $275 fine? Does it go away after a certain amount of time? Will I get picked up because of it if pulled over out of state? Will an unpaid Misdemeanor show up in a background check?

I appreciate feedback
This won't go away. They have this incredible new invention out there. It's called "Computer". Computers have a long, long, LONG memory.

You are legally required to take care of this.

racer72

I have looked into the Free Advice crystal ball and asked what would happen to you if you don't pay the ticket.

On March 18, 2010, you will be driving along and come up to a stop sign. You are in a bit of a hurry so you roll through the sign. A police officer sees you do this and pulls you over. He asks for your license, registration and proof of insurance. You comply and the officer returns to his vehicle.

About 8 minutes later the officer returns to your vehicle. He asks you to step out of the vehicle and place your hands on the roof of your car. He slaps on a pair of hand cuffs and tells you that you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest from Texas. You are place under arrest and you are taken to the local lock-up. A tow truck is called and your vehicle is impounded.

You are held in jail for about 15 hours. You are then told that Texas is not going to extradite you but you need to take care of the warrant or you will face being arrested again. You are released with a ticket for $140 for the stop sign violation.

You go to retrieve your vehicle and find it will cost you about $200 to get it back. You go home and call the court in Texas. You are informed there is a warrant that now has a $550 bail and you will have to appear in court too.

Not including the stop sign ticket, you are now out $750 and still have to take a trip back to Texas. Plus your boss is really PO'd because of the day of work you missed while in jail and you need some more time off to go back to Texas.

The crystal ball has just faded out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">