• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding warrant in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billygiorgi

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California and Colorado

In 2004 I was arrested on a possesion of cocain charge. I had less than a gram. I was convicted for felony possesion and put on probation. To make a long story short I didn't go to the classes and I didnt follow up with probation. It wasnt until March of this year that my probation officer issued a warrant. I am now living in Colorado and have been for the past 4 months. I made a stupid impulsive decision at a Kohls and shoplifted a $50 bottle of cologne. The store called the police. When the police officer arrived she issued me a ticket for misdemeaner theft. After issuing the ticket she informed me that I had an outstanding warrant in California, however she could not take me in. I have a mandatory court appearance for the theft charge in a few weeks. Although the officer did not take me in, I am worred that when I appear in court they will detain me for possible extradition to California. Could that happen considering the officer did not detain me?

CdwJava

Yes, it could happen. Chances are California will not extradite you for the offense, but they could decide to do so.

Oh, and the warrant will remain active until recalled. Having the warrant will prevent access to many jobs, it will prevent access to many government assistance programs and government backed loans, and will generally dog you for the rest of your days if you just let it go.

- Carl

billygiorgi

i was told by another source that when the police officer ran my name. she got a "hit for my warrant" the warrant was then verified by the issuing state and the issuing state says whether they will extradite or not. the fact that i wasnt arrested on the spot tells me that california will not extradite.....or colorado will not detain me to find out????

outonbail

i was told by another source that when the police officer ran my name. she got a "hit for my warrant" the warrant was then verified by the issuing state and the issuing state says whether they will extradite or not. the fact that i wasnt arrested on the spot tells me that california will not extradite.....or colorado will not detain me to find out????
California may have been too busy to bother with you when Co. called in to verify the warrant. They may not be too busy at some point in the future, you just never know.

In addition to what Carl posted above, having an outstanding warrant for not following a court order, does not work in your favor when you find yourself in front of another judge, even if it's in another state.

When a judge reviews your criminal history in deciding on an appropriate sentence for this and any future cases, they will see that you don't follow court orders and that you can't be bothered with fulfilling your end of whatever it is you agree to in court.
Hence, they will be less likely to grant probation and may decide to just take you into custody so they don't have to issue a warrant in the future themselves.

CdwJava

However, it IS possible that while the warrant is not listed as extraditable on its face, the issuing agency may decide that now that they know where you are, they will enforce the warrant and agree to come and get you. The point is, you just do not know.

Like I said, chances are they are not going to go to the expense of bringing you back on this kind of a charge. But, you will have to live with this the rest of your life, and whenever the police run you, you run the risk of getting popped and taken in - at least for a while ... not to mention the jobs, loans, and welfare and other "benefits" that might be declined as a result of this warrant.

- Carl

billygiorgi

Thanks

just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post...and also let everyone know how it went, hopefully this info will be helpful to someone else. i went to court this morning bright and early. i checked in with the clerk and she gave me the option of seeing the prosecuter before going before the judge. the prosecutor read over the case, and said bc its my first theft offense he could offer me a class, with a plea of guilty. i took the deal. he mentioned nothing about my warrant in california so I am a free man. the court costs were about $150 and the class is supposedly going to cost me less that $100. BOTTOM LINE...IM STILL A FREE MAN. now i just need to handle my warrant in CA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Silly silly child. You just THINK this is only going to cost you what you stated. That's what makes this hilarious. Any classes that you attend, you pay for. Probation, you pay for. Drug testing, if they require it, you pay for. And even though your offense is not drug related, (though you had to have been stoned just STUPID to think you could have gotten away with this), because you are on probation, they can, at any time, require you to take a drug test, and most likely will, because they know, or will know, that you have an outstanding drug offense in California, and you will pay for every single one of those too.

I hope they find you with a dirty piss test. Then you get charged with another offense, under the influence.

Keep thinking you got off cheap. You're a foolish child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">