• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding warrant for my arrest I didn't know about

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chickfila

I have an outstanding warrant for my arrest in Virginia dating back to 8/24/2007. I have been completely unaware that this warrant existed. I currently am unemployed and have been unemployed for almost 9 months now. I have been rejected for a number of good jobs in my field (I can provide documentation of this) because I am unable to pass a simple background check. I also failed to receive an interim security clearance I needed for a government job I was offered so I was unable to start and subsequently the offer was pulled. The fact that I was denied the clearance will make it very hard to receive a clearance in the future so I have been essentially eliminated from that pool of jobs. I found the warrant after I requested my own FBI record to see why I was getting rejected so much.

I called the Sheriff's Office to see what I needed to do to resolve this issue. I was told I either had to turn myself in so I could be served and appear before a magistrate. If I was living in Virginia right now I would have already turned myself in, but currently I reside in Atlanta, Georgia. It would be very difficult to travel there to resolve this issue, especially considering my extended unemployment and lack of money.

The charge in question was filed by my older brother (who happens to be bigger than me). It says on the FBI record "INTIMATION - includes STALKING". It is totally ridiculous because my brother was mad at me at the time (which he currently isn't) and I have no idea why he chose to drag police into it and never tell me (I was never contacted at all or arrested). The fact that when I apply for a job and they see I am wanted for "intimidation" and "stalking" is making my life extremely difficult.

What can I do to resolve this without having to go there and turn myself in. Can't they withdraw the warrant? Does it ever expire?

Last edited:

outonbail

You might be able to contact an attorney who practices in the jurisdiction where this warrant was filed and see if they can help you get the issue resolved.
However, if you can't afford a bus ticket from Georgia to Virginia, I imagine hiring a private attorney is pretty much out of the question.

So your best bet is to borrow the funds for the bus ticket from your brother.

BTW, it doesn't make any difference how big the suspect or the victim may be. Stalking is one area where "size doesn't matter",,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">