• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWI and battery charge.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksheppard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am out on bond for an OWI, my first offense in my 45 yr. old life. My future mother in law attacked me leaving bruises on me and knocking my glasses off. She told a different story. Now I have a warrant to revoke my bond and one for battery. I am at a domestic violence shelter. I want to know if writing the issuing judge would help. I'm offering to turn myself in, I just haven't because I need to set something up for my 7 yr. old son. And I am in a program, I've stopped drinking and have no desire to. Please no cracks about endangering peoples lives, I get it. I asked this on another site, but they thought it was a bad idea. But I explained in the letter why I haven't turned myself in, and that I am willing to.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am out on bond for an OWI, my first offense in my 45 yr. old life. My future mother in law attacked me leaving bruises on me and knocking my glasses off. She told a different story. Now I have a warrant to revoke my bond and one for battery. I am at a domestic violence shelter. I want to know if writing the issuing judge would help. I'm offering to turn myself in, I just haven't because I need to set something up for my 7 yr. old son. And I am in a program, I've stopped drinking and have no desire to. Please no cracks about endangering peoples lives, I get it. I asked this on another site, but they thought it was a bad idea. But I explained in the letter why I haven't turned myself in, and that I am willing to.
Writing a letter to the issuing judge is DEFINITELY a bad idea, primarily because it would be considered improper ex parte communication.

If you don't already have an attorney, your first step is to get one - and let the attorney do the talking for you.

aardvarc

The judge isn't going to read your letter. The warrant was issued because the judge wants to see you face to face, and that's the ONLY way the issue will be dealt with by the court. The court doesn't really care they why's and how's of you not turning yourself in, they'll simply wait and deal with other cases and issues until either you turn yourself in or law enforcment comes across you and they bring you in. If you're currently AT a domestic violence program, you should be working with your advocate to contact a criminal defense attorney, and discussing your strategy for turning yourself in with a local attorney who will know your local court schedules and can best advise you how and when to turn yourself in so as to minimize the time you'll spend in a jail cell waiting to see the judge (if you do it at a "bad" time, you could sit for a few days, and you don't want that).

ksheppard

Thanks

The judge isn't going to read your letter. The warrant was issued because the judge wants to see you face to face, and that's the ONLY way the issue will be dealt with by the court. The court doesn't really care they why's and how's of you not turning yourself in, they'll simply wait and deal with other cases and issues until either you turn yourself in or law enforcment comes across you and they bring you in. If you're currently AT a domestic violence program, you should be working with your advocate to contact a criminal defense attorney, and discussing your strategy for turning yourself in with a local attorney who will know your local court schedules and can best advise you how and when to turn yourself in so as to minimize the time you'll spend in a jail cell waiting to see the judge (if you do it at a "bad" time, you could sit for a few days, and you don't want that).
Ok, I didn't think of that one. My OWI court appointed lawyer won't talk to me until I am in jail. I'll speak with my advocate and see what she can come up with. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">