• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Public Intoxication Arrest Questions--PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tako99

What is the name of your state? PA (Live in DC)

I am a 25 year old male graduate student who lives and works in Washington, DC. I was in PA visiting a dear friend of mine over the weekend. One of the nights we went out for some beers and later relocated to one of his co-worker's houses. There we had another beer and a couple people (not myself) were indulging in marijuana. Eventually, my close friend and his brother were walking out to leave and I apparently began to follow but went to grab my shoes. The next thing I remember, I am running through yards and fields away from the house without a clue where I was. All I remember feeling was dread that the people who's house we were at had tried to accoste me. I attempted to call my friends eventually and they did not answer so I tried my girlfriend and eventually my parents which completely threw a new franticness into the situation.

Sufficed to say, I was sitting against a building to rest and try to gather my senses while I talkted to my folks when I noticed a police cruiser in a nearby parking lot. I voluntarily ran to the officers in tears, freaking out. I told them that I had been drinking but not to a point where I would normally be out of my wits and that I had been at someone's house where I suspected foul play. They calmed me a bit and took a breathalizer (BAC ~.16). I was told that they found my wallet in the grass in a neighborhood I had run through, and that they'd received a call that I had been spotted. Actually, the call came from a woman whose house I stopped at for help but darted away from before anyone came.

To bring the story to a close, I was arrested for public drunkeness (the officers were nice and said they had to cause they got a call) and taken to a holding "tank" until the morning when I paid $140 fine and was released. They said that they could not just release me to my friends that night because they were unreachable and I could not state where they lived. Also, I am an out-of-stater so apparently that made a difference. I elected/requested to be taken to the hospital to scan for drugs/fouldplay etc. and while there the attending physician referred to my seemingly lucid state, and said it was unusual for alcohol-related psychoses to wear off in such a short period of time (about 2 hours). All in all, no drugs were found in blood or urine:( , and I went back to the holding station until morning.

I am an upstanding, extremely educated, and aspiring medical student without a record, and I am now worried that this unfortunate event will hurt me. I was not "booked" or given court hearings, and the officers said this is similar to a simple traffice ticket in terms of violations. Is this true?:confused: Will this incident/fine be something that comes back to haunt me for my doctoral applications, jobs, etc.?:confused: Please, if anyone can offer any input at all I would be forever grateful!:) I apologize for the length of this post.

-T

rlrl

There are offenses that aren't fingerprintable...

offenses. In NY they are known as 'violations" which can be charged in the form of a ticket or an arrest.usually a violation in NY goes on your record in the court which can be searched by an employer or the public. Not sure how it works in Pa though.

it sounds like you most likely pled guilty to the charge since you paid a fine. Since you didn't go to court of any kind the record may reside in the police dept where you stayed. To me it sounds like a local ordinance violation.

Find out the nature of the offense, how it can be acccessed by the public and how it may affect you in a background check. Ask the police dept that you were involved with or have them direct you to the appropariate place, maybe the central criminal records bureau in pa

tako99

Thanks!

Thank you to all who replied to my question on the public drunk violation. I appraciate both insightful responses, and I am relieved that this will not ruin my future plans and aspirations. If there is any other info anyone thinks I should know please feel free to drop a line. Otherwise, thanks again and again and again!!!!

Todd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">