• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Palmer, Reifler & Associates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baborders

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My son age 11, was caught shoplifting. The juvenile department gave him a warning and that was all. The store had a no tresspass order but agreed to drop it. That was over a month ago. Now I get a letter from Palmer, Reifler & Associates, P.A. telling me that I must pay them $256.18 or they will file a suit against me. Is this legal blackmail? Also, I found out later, during the incident, the loss prevention guy performed a search of my sons pockets himself, putting his hands inside the pockets of my son, which I have been told is an illegal search and seizure as well as sexual molestation of a minor. Is this accurate? I do not plan to pay this, as I do not believe they will file a suit in the first place. My son was never convicted of anything so, is this a violation of the law?

pojo2

Perhaps it is time for your son to learn a very good lesson. If payment must be made then see to it your son must give up things until this amount is paid off.

You will teach you son nothing if he hears you spouting off about how outrageous this is. You are merely providing him an excuse for the next time it happens.

CdwJava

baborders said:
Is this legal blackmail?
It is legal, and it is not blackmail. However, it is only legal if this law firm is representing the department store and making the collection for them. Most department stores send these letters out themselves. Going through an attorney's office would seem to be counterproductive as it would cost them at least that much to just get the letter!

But, civil assessments against shoplifters are commonplace in every state I know of. In CA they tend to be higher (at about $350 these days, as I understand).

Also, I found out later, during the incident, the loss prevention guy performed a search of my sons pockets himself, putting his hands inside the pockets of my son, which I have been told is an illegal search and seizure as well as sexual molestation of a minor. Is this accurate?
No, it is not. Unless the loss prevention guy were getting his jollies by doing it, it is NOT molestation. And while your state law may not encourage private persons doing searches, it is not an "illegal search and seizure".

I do not plan to pay this, as I do not believe they will file a suit in the first place. My son was never convicted of anything so, is this a violation of the law?
Your choice.

However, keep in mind that PA and other states DO have civil assessment laws on the books where a commercial establishment can request up to a specified amount in compensation. If you do NOT pay it, you MAY find yourself in small claims court.

Personally, I'd have my son pay it ... or at least pay me back. And the payback would be such that he would never consider shoplifting ever again.

- Carl

Timmer

I am in Maryland.

I received a letter from Palmer Reifler and Associates too, accusing me of attempting to shoplift $40 worth of goods from a KMart a few towns away from me. I hve never been to that KMart, and I wrote to Palmer Reifler and Associates to tell them that. They are awarte that this is true and that their claim is bogus, yet they call me daily and spam my answering machine with their recorded messages. This has been going on for 3 years! I've told them either file suit against me or drop it, but stop calling. They go right on calling every day. Apparently, they think they can intimidate me into paying them money THEY KNOW I DON'T OWE.

I have websearched them and found out that they have a pattern of sending these letters to people, many of whom have not done anything. It appears that PR& Ass. knows this, but they do it anyway. Apparently, it's a habit with these turkeys.

They should be investigated by the Bar Association and if they don't stop harassing me soon, I'm going to contact the Bar Association in every state where they have offices.

poszest16

Similar Case

I have similar case to this just the difference is I worked for the company they are representing. I worked for Radio shack for about 2 years and 2 months when my districts Loss Prevention Manager showed up at my store, he was there to question me about a incident that happened several months before where I was seen by a jewel osco grocery store packing lot security camera taking a product from the store. I was temporary taking the product to be tested (We did not have the equipment to test it in the store), But they had no video of me returning it. The item went missing couple days after I returned it, Well he was accusing me of stealing it. well since there was no proof I did not steal it (Which I did notl) He fired me (W/o being arrested "THANK YOU") right before Thanksgiving and I was to pay restitution of $129 or so. Well just three days ago I got a letter from PR & Associates to pay RadioShack restitution of $250.00. I was told by the Loss Prevention Manager I was good to go and it was all taken care of. And down the letter it says even I do pay it, It will still not stop them from suing me for more money and possibly prison.

Thanks for any advice,
Mr. NoName

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have similar case to this just the difference is I worked for the company they are representing. I worked for Radio shack for about 2 years and 2 months when my districts Loss Prevention Manager showed up at my store, he was there to question me about a incident that happened several months before where I was seen by a jewel osco grocery store packing lot security camera taking a product from the store. I was temporary taking the product to be tested (We did not have the equipment to test it in the store), But they had no video of me returning it. The item went missing couple days after I returned it, Well he was accusing me of stealing it. well since there was no proof I did not steal it (Which I did notl) He fired me (W/o being arrested "THANK YOU") right before Thanksgiving and I was to pay restitution of $129 or so. Well just three days ago I got a letter from PR & Associates to pay RadioShack restitution of $250.00. I was told by the Loss Prevention Manager I was good to go and it was all taken care of. And down the letter it says even I do pay it, It will still not stop them from suing me for more money and possibly prison.

Thanks for any advice,
Mr. NoName
You need to start your own thread (and, your situation is not similar at all to the OP's)

altriokid

Help!!! Im not sure what this is

SO,

I screwed up and attempted to steal a 14 dollar dvd at k mart in maryland, and i am over 18. They couaght me walking out the door. They did NOT call the cops or press charges, but I did sign a form saying I attempted to and i can no long go to kmarts.... I have never done this before, and dont even know why i did.

They gave me a paper with Palmer, Reifler, and associates saying i will hear from them in two weeks, if not call.

1. if i dont hear from them do you think i should call
2. how much of a civil penalty can it be min and max
3. since it was only 14 dollars was it just a scare tactic, and nothing will happen??

Thanks

logjqgsuzc

Perhaps it is time for your son to learn a very good lesson. If payment must be made then see to it your son must give up things until this amount is paid off.

You will teach you son nothing if he hears you spouting off about how outrageous this is. You are merely providing him an excuse for the next time it happens.
Perhaps you should keep your opinions about how the op should parent his son to yourself and attempt to answer his legal concern, which you did not in that entire diatribe.

op, I suggest you let them take you to court. Worst case, the judge decides you have to pay it.. but I wouldn't pay it up front until a judge orders me to. (looks like im 3 yrs too late on this thread)

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My son age 11, was caught shoplifting. The juvenile department gave him a warning and that was all. The store had a no tresspass order but agreed to drop it. That was over a month ago. Now I get a letter from Palmer, Reifler & Associates, P.A. telling me that I must pay them $256.18 or they will file a suit against me. Is this legal blackmail? Also, I found out later, during the incident, the loss prevention guy performed a search of my sons pockets himself, putting his hands inside the pockets of my son, which I have been told is an illegal search and seizure as well as sexual molestation of a minor. Is this accurate? I do not plan to pay this, as I do not believe they will file a suit in the first place. My son was never convicted of anything so, is this a violation of the law?

**A: pay the fee then have your son work ( doing extra chores at home etc.) to pay you back.

PJ Weber

In the future start your own thread, don't hijack one that is almost seven months old

1. if i dont hear from them do you think i should call
--It can take up to a month for the letter to arrive

2. how much of a civil penalty can it be min and max
--Max of $500, usually in the $200 to $300 range

3. since it was only 14 dollars was it just a scare tactic, and nothing will happen??
--Don't count on it! The cost of the item is meaningless, it's the principle. I know of
cases where a $1 item was taken, the civil demand was over $200

gottagettough

Don't pay the crooks! It is all lies!

I had a similar problem. My daughter had never been in any kind of trouble before. She was over 18, in college. Stole some booze, under 50.00, from wal-mart with some friends. I have gotten dozens of letters from this firm.

I have talked to the local authorities, and a lawyer. My daughter has fulfilled all her legal obligations. Had to attend some classes, and also pick up trash along the highway.

We have never paid a dime to this sleazy legal firm, and do not plan to. If all legal obligations have been fulfilled, I would ignore the threats. It would cost the firm more to take you to court than it would be worth. They are crafty, so you need to be smart. They send out letters, that is what they do. Even if a quarter of the folks pay something, they are still making out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had a similar problem. My daughter had never been in any kind of trouble before. She was over 18, in college. Stole some booze, under 50.00, from wal-mart with some friends. I have gotten dozens of letters from this firm.

I have talked to the local authorities, and a lawyer. My daughter has fulfilled all her legal obligations. Had to attend some classes, and also pick up trash along the highway.

We have never paid a dime to this sleazy legal firm, and do not plan to. If all legal obligations have been fulfilled, I would ignore the threats. It would cost the firm more to take you to court than it would be worth. They are crafty, so you need to be smart. They send out letters, that is what they do. Even if a quarter of the folks pay something, they are still making out.
Well, you're posting to a long-dead thread. However, the "advice" you are giving is absolutely 100% wrong. Civil assessments are perfectly legal and commonplace. Just because YOU choose to ignore it does NOT mean that you should advise others to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">