• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parolee living in my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gradi Arnold

I have searched the web almost all night looking for the law on this without any luck. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I'm in California. I received a letter from my cousin who is in prison. He asked if he could parole to my house. We've always been very close and I would love to help him. I asked him if my house would be subject to searches, because I know he will have no search and seizure rights as a parolee. He told me if he has his own room with a lock on the door, his room would be the only room they could search. I have nothing illegal in my home so I'm not concerned about that, but I know what the police do when they search a house. They destroy it, break things, sometimes intentionally, with no regard or respect to you or your property. I also know here in California they sometimes have probation/parole searches where they make sweeps of several cities at a time. And that his parole officer will be dropping by from time to time. So my question here is this, do I too lose my search and seizure rights because a parolee is living in my house? I suppose I could tolerate them searching his room, but I can't allow my cousin to stay with me if my whole house is subject to searches. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help who knows the law on this matter. I'm suppose to give him an answer on this a.s.a.p.

Sincerely,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">