• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger's defamatory remarks in drive-thru - am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DriveThruProb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or if I phrase my question incorrectly. With that said, here goes -

This morning I went through a fast food drive-thru. I had a friend with me in the back seat, who ended up yelling various defamatory remarks at the people working at the fast food restaurant. I was very apologetic throughout, and they served us our food, which naturally was payed for.

Yes, I need new friends and/or to ditch this friend.

As we left, they yelled "come back" or something of the sort. We continued driving, hoping our friend would not keep yelling.

Question - As the driver, am I liable for my passengers actions, such as yelling defamatory remarks? Did the passenger even commit a crime? Should I be expecting a court summons or a ticket in the mail because they can pull my drivers license from the drive thru camera?

Thanks for your advice in advance. I tried doing my own research, but came up blank. I am not particularly knowledgeable about the law.

CdwJava

What do you think that you or your friends might be liable for? It is not a crime to behave like an idiot. Unless he made credible threats of bodily harm, there is no crime here. You might want to reconsider your friendship with this yo-yo, and you might want to avoid that eatery for a while, but it does not sound like a crime or a civil tort exists.

DriveThruProb

What do you think that you or your friends might be liable for? It is not a crime to behave like an idiot. Unless he made credible threats of bodily harm, there is no crime here. You might want to reconsider your friendship with this yo-yo, and you might want to avoid that eatery for a while, but it does not sound like a crime or a civil tort exists.

I was concerned that, as the driver of the vehicle, I could be found liable for hate speech or disorderly conduct or something (even though I did not commit the act). Like I said, I am not familiar with the law on this stuff (or anything really), but I want to be prepared for the worst.

No threats were made, the passenger sat in the back seat the whole time, just a bunch of foul language was directed at the employees "...thanks Mexicans..." I was not sure if that type of behavior broke any laws, particularly at a drive-thru where I presume they have cameras.

You make a valid point about reconsidering the friendship, he is a fun person but can be completely out of line (case in point).

Thanks for the input CdwJava. My ignorance on this issue has been quite frustrating, but I was worried nonetheless. Worried a little bit less now though...thanks again

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If I was you, I would be more concerned with the employees of the restaurant spitting in my food than taking legal action.

DriveThruProb

oh i ate very cautiously, checking each layer. but hey, that's not to say I avoided ingesting any "special" sauce. though that is one issue i am finding easier to simply *not* think about

CdwJava

No violation of the law, just a violation of common sense to insult people preparing your food in a place where you cannot see them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">