• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawning for a minor without parental consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IamFrustrated

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT
Is it illegal for an adult to pawn an item for a minor without their parents consent? My son has an expensive camera and needed money so he asked a lady we don't associate with to pawn it for him. He's only 15. She never called us to let us know, she just pawned it and gave him the money. We called her angry and took her to the pawn to pick up the camera. The pawn shop said there's nothing the police can do, but I feel violated! Is there anything at all we can get charges filed on her for?? Thank you.

justalayman

as long as it was your sons camera, I don't see anything wrong (legally) with what the woman did.

How about directing the anger where it belongs; your son

He is the one that asked that woman to pawn the camera.

IamFrustrated

Yes, of course we did direct the anger at our son already. He got his sentence already. I guess i should have mentioned that. Now, she needs to know what she did was wrong. I don't know a single responsible adult who would do that.

The Occultist

Yes, of course we did direct the anger at our son already. He got his sentence already. I guess i should have mentioned that. Now, she needs to know what she did was wrong. I don't know a single responsible adult who would do that.
What sort of legal punishment are you looking for? What remedy is it you seek?

IamFrustrated

There is a reason one can not pawn until they are of legal age of 18, we all know that. This woman by the was has a record. This was a very deceitful act and must somehow be illegal. I also fear what she wanted in return for the favor. My son said she wanted nothing, but hmmm she's quite the snake!

The Occultist

There is a reason one can not pawn until they are of legal age of 18, we all know that. This woman by the was has a record. This was a very deceitful act and must somehow be illegal. I also fear what she wanted in return for the favor. My son said she wanted nothing, but hmmm she's quite the snake!
That still doesn't answer my question: what is it you hope to accomplish here?

IamFrustrated

Oh yes, sorry about that. I would just like her held accountable for her bad judgement. Even just to have the police go to her door and tell her it's not ok to pawn for minors. Hopefully she will shape up. I guess that itself would make me feel better.

DAD10

. Hopefully she will shape up. I guess that itself would make me feel better.
Hopeful you will grow up and not blame others for your sons actions.
Start with holding your son responsible-then go take a look at yourself in the mirror as that is you (parent) that should be held accountable for your sons actions.

CdwJava

Oh yes, sorry about that. I would just like her held accountable for her bad judgement. Even just to have the police go to her door and tell her it's not ok to pawn for minors. Hopefully she will shape up. I guess that itself would make me feel better.
The police are not the counselors and arbiters of what is right and wrong. If she broke no law in UT it is doubtful they will respond to her residence to scold her. If your town is small, and the police have little to do, maybe they will be willing to go out and have a chat with her about the possible scenarios that could get her into trouble. But, absent any attempt at some personal gain by her I don't know that she committed any crime.

Perhaps you can contact her and express her displeasure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">