• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a Payment "Receipt" a Legal "Order" of Costs.....Over What a "Judge" States?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RESgrignoli

Is a Payment "Receipt" a Legal "Order" of Costs.....Over What a "Judge" States?

Pennsylvania:

Situation: Son receives parking ticket; vehicle in my name; I'm not aware of ticket; I do not pay in time; I receive official reminder "Summons" in mail (with copy of ticket attached). This "Summons" did not include any official details of fine/costs involved, but the attached parking ticket did include an amount of $10.00.

I send in my plea of guilty and include check for $10.00.

Immediately after sending in the money, I receive a "Time Payment Order" which states $10.00 fine and $37.00 costs for total of $47.00, signed by judge.

I then later receive a receipt for my $10.00, but on the receipt, it states that the ORIGINAL cost was not $47.00, but $57.00, with a balance due still of $47.00.

But, this is NOT a court order...only a receipt. I then mail in the remaining $37.00 (based on Time Payment Order - not receipt).

I receive another receipt for the additional $37.00 with clerk handwritten statement, "Pay balance promptly or a warrant will be issued!"

My question is simple: What takes precedence in law, a "Time Payment Order" signed by the Judge with an initial breakdown of fees totally $47.00, or a mere "receipt" which says that the initial cost was "actually" $57.00? In my view, the COURT ORDER, with the Judge's signature, should be the overriding dictate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">