• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person of interest in police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvicea

FLORIDA

If you are names a person of interest in a police report and you go in and talk to the detective and after talking they end up only making the person you were with fill out and sign a statement does that mean they are no longer focusing on you ?

tranquility

FLORIDA

If you are names a person of interest in a police report and you go in and talk to the detective and after talking they end up only making the person you were with fill out and sign a statement does that mean they are no longer focusing on you ?
In the first place, who knows? In the second, are you saying you went in to talk with a detective voluntarily and then signed a statement you made?

needadvicea

Yes but no written statement was taken from me they ended up just taking one from my dad but im 33 so that didnt make sense to me

tranquility

Yes but no written statement was taken from me they ended up just taking one from my dad but im 33 so that didnt make sense to me
Your dad made a written statement and signed it?

Did it concern what you were there to talk to the detective about?

I don't really want to to say much about the facts as I doubt one goes from a person of interest to not on the basis of a signed statement from their father. Was you dad in the room with you when you were giving your statement? Did he interject at any time?

needadvicea

Yes he was in the room with me . He told the dect that really it had more to do with him then me. She had him fill out a statement then said this is more or likely and civil matter and walked us out

CdwJava

Since we have absolutely no idea what you and your friends are involved in, or what the detective may know, we cannot even venture an UNeducated guess as to whether the police are still focusing on you or not.

If the detective feels that this is a civil matter (which leads me to think this is an issue of an alleged theft of some kind), then that may be his way of saying, "I'm done with this." If he can close the matter out and be done with it, I am sure he will.

But, there is no magic state of being for being a "person of interest" (for which there is no specific legal meaning), so you may or may not still be a suspect. Who knows? If the police never contact you again, you're golden. If they do, it may be time to exercise your right to remain silent.

needadvicea

Since we have absolutely no idea what you and your friends are involved in, or what the detective may know, we cannot even venture an UNeducated guess as to whether the police are still focusing on you or not.

If the detective feels that this is a civil matter (which leads me to think this is an issue of an alleged theft of some kind), then that may be his way of saying, "I'm done with this." If he can close the matter out and be done with it, I am sure he will.

But, there is no magic state of being for being a "person of interest" (for which there is no specific legal meaning), so you may or may not still be a suspect. Who knows? If the police never contact you again, you're golden. If they do, it may be time to exercise your right to remain silent.
She said she seen some holes in the story that just didnt make sense.
will i hear from her again? to let me know if its closed or no?

quincy

needadvicea, the questions you ask here appear to be about as unanswerable as they were in your thread from the other day: https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/question-about-being-accused-identity-theft-623493.html

Your ex-girlfriend may have had problems with her own accounts (utility, cable, phone, credit card, whatever) once she moved out of your dad's home. Because she allowed her name to be included on these accounts, she might have had difficulty trying to get accounts in her own name. That could be why she is claiming identity theft - not because her identity was really stolen but because her name was appearing along with your dad's on other accounts.

Speak to an attorney in your area if you are concerned you will be implicated in some sort of crime, and your dad can consult with an attorney in your area if he is. But it appears right now that the detective is just investigating her claim, trying to discover the facts and resolve the issue.

needadvicea

needadvicea, the questions you ask here appear to be about as unanswerable as they were in your thread from the other day: https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/question-about-being-accused-identity-theft-623493.html

Your ex-girlfriend may have had problems with her own accounts (utility, cable, phone, credit card, whatever) once she moved out of your dad's home. Because she allowed her name to be included on these accounts, she might have had difficulty trying to get accounts in her own name. That could be why she is claiming identity theft - not because her identity was really stolen but because her name was appearing along with your dad's on other accounts.

Speak to an attorney in your area if you are concerned you will be implicated in some sort of crime, and your dad can consult with an attorney in your area if he is. But it appears right now that the detective is just investigating her claim, trying to discover the facts and resolve the issue.
Thank you just scared of going to jail over something i didnt do

quincy

Thank you just scared of going to jail over something i didnt do
It does not sound as if you will go to jail, based on what you have written in your two threads. If you did not try to use your ex-girlfriend's accounts as your own, you are probably okay. If the detective finds a reason to file charges for some reason against either you or your dad, contact an attorney and go from there.

I would not be worried or scared at this point. Save that for when you find out there is really something to be worried or scared about.

Good luck.

needadvicea

It does not sound as if you will go to jail, based on what you have written in your two threads. If you did not try to use your ex-girlfriend's accounts as your own, you are probably okay. If the detective finds a reason to file charges for some reason against either you or your dad, contact an attorney and go from there.

I would not be worried or scared at this point. Save that for when you find out there is really something to be worried or scared about.

Good luck.
Thank you
I am an epileptic and my seizures have been flaring up real bad because im scared

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
FLORIDA

Why don't you keep all of the questions about your situation in one thread? Opening multiple threads is just causing confusion.

quincy

Thank you
I am an epileptic and my seizures have been flaring up real bad because im scared
Then try not to be scared. There is no reason to be scared at this point. The detective is doing her job of investigating a complaint. That is all that is happening right now. IF you or your dad are charged with a crime, contact an attorney, or speak to one now for reassurance.

Remember, you do NOT have to provide any information to the police right now. If you question the type of questions be asked, tell the detective you do not want to respond until you consult with an attorney. And then say nothing more to the detective and call for legal assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">