• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal property question please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalitees

What is the name of your state? California

My boyfriend of 9 years is very sick and has moved to a different city to get better medical care. He has been completely financially supporting me for those 9 years. He is 89 and his children (my age) have now cut my credit cards and funding off. I have keys to his house and he has been asking me to move out of my apartment and into his house so I will not have to pay rent. He also told me to take and use anything that I need. I took all of the groceries and the TV. His son is now threatening to call the police on me if I don't put the TV back. Can I get in trouble for this? Please help!!

CdwJava

CAN you get in trouble? Sure. WILL you? Who knows?

It would be best if he could put in writing (preferably witnessed and/or notarized) that you have permission to take specific items.

However, if you are moving into his house, why take the TV and groceries? What are you doing with them?

- Carl

legalitees

use of items

I am not going to move in because his kids have taken over his life (they have a trust) and if they are upset over this, I would be homeless quickly if i moved in. They won't let me see him, so the thing in writing is probably impossible. So my concern is whether or not I should just take it back over there.

CdwJava

It is your call on what to do. The police and the DA MIGHT see it as theft, or, they might see this as a civil matter. But, if the 89-year-old is unable to convey his wishes in writing, and is likely to NOT corroborate what you claim he said, then you could be in a bad place.

If his mind is fading, or his ability to track and communicate are poor due to his age, illness, or condition, then you increase the chances that you could be charged. Whether it is a risk you want to take is up to you.

- Carl

legalitees

Thank you for the sound advice!

I really appreciate your advice. I think I'll take it back. It is only a TV and I don't want to argue with these people over such trivial things. They need to focus on their Dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">