• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

parallax

What is the name of your state? New York

I was just arrested and charged with petty larceny for a total case value of $250. I worked at the place that I stole from to try and raise quick cash to try and not get evicted from my home. Well after I did it I still got evicted from my home and had to move out of New York, then after a month I was told by family that two detectives were looking for me about the whole thing. I then called the Detective to try and straighten the whole mess out, he told me whenever I was back in New York to just turn myself in and he'd give me a D.A.T and get me out of there as it was a bull**** charge (his words). As I consider myself an honest person who made a ****ed up decision I made the trip back to new york to answer for what I did. I got there and was put into a cell for 2 hours without being read my rights, when we went into the questioning room I was then read my rights. I was told that if I didn't play straight I wouldn't be given the D.A.T and since I have a 6 month old son all I wanted to do was go home. So I admitted to the whole thing and even wrote a statement about why I did it. My question is what is the maximum sentence I'm likely to get being a first time offender with no prior recordof any kind?...Will I get offered a plea deal and get my record sealed?.....should I hire a defense lawyer?......thanks for your time.

Your not looking at anything to bad. A fine, probation, etc.

You should always have a lawyer. Now you made a big mistake. You admitted to the whole thing, which throws out a good plea bargain. Unless they decide to be nice. I get a lawyer.

-JUG

fairisfair

Your not looking at anything to bad. A fine, probation, etc.

You should always have a lawyer. Now you made a big mistake. You admitted to the whole thing, which throws out a good plea bargain. Unless they decide to be nice. I get a lawyer.

-JUG
Please cite the law that came from.

Petty Larceny in NY is a Class A Misdemeanor. She stole $250 because she was being evicted from her home. She has a 6 month old son. She came back to NY just to take care of this charge. The judge will not throw the book at her. She is not going to jail. The max sentence I believe for a class A misdemeanor is $1,000 fine, 3 years probation, 1 year jail time. She is not going to get that. She’s a first time offender.

I dont know what law you would like me to cite. But I really dont have time to look up laws.

Class A Misdemeanor, New York State up to $1000 fine and 1 year in jail.
As I said they are not going to throw the book at her. She’s a mother, a first time defendant, who was being evicted from her home. There’s law, and then there is reality. The reality is she will walk out of court and go home. Jail is for dangerous people. People who are to dangerous to be among the public. She is just a poor mother trying to get by and back on her feet.

-JUG

fairisfair

Petty Larceny in NY is a Class A Misdemeanor. She stole $250 because she was being evicted from her home. She has a 6 month old son. She came back to NY just to take care of this charge. The judge will not throw the book at her. She is not going to jail. The max sentence I believe for a class A misdemeanor is $1,000 fine, 3 years probation, 1 year jail time. She is not going to get that. She’s a first time offender.

I dont know what law you would like me to cite. But I really dont have time to look up laws.
Really, well you sure had time to look it up after I told you what it was. Do you not realize that our posts are time stamped.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Are you also a psychic? How do you know what a judge is going to do?

No, I just happen to practice criminal law in the State of NY.
And I would appreciate if you stop the personal attacks.

I come from a family of judges. I grew up in a court room.
I do not know the judge handling her case, I don’t know what that judge may do. But what I do know 99% of judges are not going to throw the book at her. She admitted to it, she’s sorry, she was being evicted, and she’s the mother of 6 month year old baby.....

There’s the law and then there is reality. She is not going to jail. Be realistic.

-JUG

Last edited:

fairisfair

No, I just happen to practice criminal law in the State of NY.
And I would appreciate if you stop the personal attacks.

I come from a family of judges. I grew up in a court room.
I do not know the judge handling her case, I don’t know what that judge may do. But what I do know 99% of judges are not going to throw the book at her. She admitted to it, she’s sorry, she was being evicted, and she’s the mother of 6 month year old baby.....

There’s the law and then there is reality. She is not going to jail. Be realistic.

-JUG
Really, please show us all where paralax says that he/she is a woman, or a mother?? Please cite for us the law that allows criminal activity to be defended by the "I was going to be evicted" strategy?? Please educate us all on how people with children are given lesser sentences, based on the fact that they are parents??

I am not personally attacking you, I do have a problem with the "advice" you are giving to posters.

gawm

Jail is for dangerous people. People who are to dangerous to be among the public. -JUG
All the statistics I heard was that most of the jail population are non violent drug offenders.

But what i do know 99% of judges are not going to throw the book at her
But do you know if the judge she is going to get is in that 99% or that 1%?

Nikcorra

my case is similar to hers

i was wondering, i have a misdemeanor-petty larceny charge for stealing checks, the amount is -200 bucks and going to court n 3 three days....im wondering what the judge would say, i live here in virginia, any one, please help

FlyingRon

Your case isn't the least bit similar to hers. Yours is four years later in a different state. If you have questions, start your own thread. But the ultimate issue is you NEED A LAWYER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">