• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty larsony in ny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anne k

What is the name of your state? NY
I have received an appearence ticket for a charge of petty larsony involving an unfortunate incident at wallmart. For the record, it was not intentional, the items were not concealed, but after waiting for my vehicle at the lube place for an extra half hour, I neglected to pay for additional items that I had picked up while waiting. I had checked out twice prior to waiting, and was anxious to get going,and stupidly forgot the additional items, so here I am. I am 45 years old and have never had more than a speeding or parking ticket, which I have always paid. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen when I go for this appearence? Is there any chance of getting this dismissed, and if so, how? I have read on other sites that wall mart sometimes offers to let you pay them a fine instead of pressing charges. Should I try contacting them concerning that, or is it too late for that? Also, how long will this stay on my record if it is dismissed, or if it is not? I have been barred from wall mart, and I have read where they tell people a time frame, after which they can return. I was not told a time frame, is there a way to see if I can get the ban lifted after a certain time? If so, how? If I go into another wallmart am I likely to have a problem? Also, I was never read my rights, and don't know if I was supposed to be. I was also told that wallmarts lawyers may contact me wanting to recoup civil penalties, what does that mean? And is that likely to happen?
I'm sure this seems small compared to some other peoples problems, but it is huge to me, any any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

You Are Guilty

anne k said:
What is the name of your state? NY
I have received an appearence ticket for a charge of petty larsony involving an unfortunate incident at wallmart.
NY Penal Law said:
§155.25 Petit larceny.
A person is guilty of petit larceny when he steals property.
Petit larceny is a class A misdemeanor.
For the record, it was not intentional, the items were not concealed, but after waiting for my vehicle at the lube place for an extra half hour, I neglected to pay for additional items that I had picked up while waiting. I had checked out twice prior to waiting, and was anxious to get going,and stupidly forgot the additional items, so here I am. I am 45 years old and have never had more than a speeding or parking ticket, which I have always paid. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen when I go for this appearence?
Nope. Do a search for "walmart" and you'll see some other people's stories though.
Is there any chance of getting this dismissed, and if so, how?
Speaking to a lawyer is always a good start.
I have read on other sites that wall mart sometimes offers to let you pay them a fine instead of pressing charges. Should I try contacting them concerning that, or is it too late for that?
Too late.
Also, how long will this stay on my record if it is dismissed, or if it is not?
Forever, unless you get it expunged (do a search).
I have been barred from wall mart, and I have read where they tell people a time frame, after which they can return. I was not told a time frame, is there a way to see if I can get the ban lifted after a certain time?If so, how?
You can certainly try. Have you considered the telephone?
If I go into another wallmart am I likely to have a problem?
Sorry, answer is cloudy. Try again later.
Also, I was never read my rights, and don't know if I was supposed to be.
Possibly important and something to discuss with that lawyer you're going to speak with.
I was also told that wallmarts lawyers may contact me wanting to recoup civil penalties, what does that mean?
It means they are going to ask you for money.
And is that likely to happen?
Vegas says it's pretty likely, 5-1 that they do.
I'm sure this seems small compared to some other peoples problems, but it is huge to me, any any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
If it's this much of an issue for you, why haven't you contacted a criminal defense lawyer already?

Oh well, good luck anyway.

anne k

thanks "are you guilty" for your worthless, self rightous, arrogant, "advice". If you can't, or won't be of any actual help, why do you bother? Obviously I know that I can hire a lawyer that I can't afford. This forum is to help answer questions and give support, not for people like you to make themselves feel better by making fun of others, and offering sarcasm instead of advise. Thanks for kicking me when I'm down.

outonbail

anne k said:
thanks "are you guilty" for your worthless, self rightous, arrogant, "advice". If you can't, or won't be of any actual help, why do you bother? Obviously I know that I can hire a lawyer that I can't afford. This forum is to help answer questions and give support, not for people like you to make themselves feel better by making fun of others, and offering sarcasm instead of advise. Thanks for kicking me when I'm down.

anneK, for the record, You Are Guilty wasn't trying to kick you while you were down. If he did, it was unintentional and it was unconcealed.

Certainly you can relate to how such a thing can happen,,,,,,

You Are Guilty

anne k said:
Wow, you theives sure do have attitude problems. Good luck with your little "problem".:rolleyes:

fez

Petit Larceny

:) IN A CASE LIKR THIS IT WILL DEPEND ON THE DA AND THE JUDGE. gO TO COURT(WITHIUT A LAWYER) pLEAD NOT GUILTY AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED. aSK FOR A ACD wHICH MEANS YOU STAY OUT OF TROUBLE FOR 6MONTHS OR SO AND THE ARREST IS GONE. ID YOU EVER OFFER TO PAY FOR SAID MERCHANDISE?

Shay-Pari'e

anne k said:
thanks "are you guilty" for your worthless, self rightous, arrogant, "advice". If you can't, or won't be of any actual help, why do you bother? Obviously I know that I can hire a lawyer that I can't afford.

You got advice from a attorney dear!. If you can hire a lawyer, (That you cannot afford), what are you asking? This simply makes no sense.

This forum is to help answer questions and give support, not for people like you to make themselves feel better by making fun of others, and offering sarcasm instead of advise. Thanks for kicking me when I'm down.

It is for advice, it is not a support forum. You got your real life answer, you just don't like the answer.

Shay-Pari'e

fez said:
:) IN A CASE LIKR THIS IT WILL DEPEND ON THE DA AND THE JUDGE. gO TO COURT(WITHIUT A LAWYER) pLEAD NOT GUILTY AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED. aSK FOR A ACD wHICH MEANS YOU STAY OUT OF TROUBLE FOR 6MONTHS OR SO AND THE ARREST IS GONE. ID YOU EVER OFFER TO PAY FOR SAID MERCHANDISE?
HUH? I just lost my eye sight I believe.

Let me blink.

Yep! Still there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">