• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft 484(a) PC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limdo

What is the name of your state? California.

An adult friend of mine with no record prior to this was caught shoplifting worth $100 and turned over by store to the police. After paper work released to appear in court. Before court appearance, received letter from lawyer representing the store to pay $400 within 15 days. My friend went to court, fined $100+costs, came to $620.

My friend showed letter from store lawyer to the court lwyer and he says that has nothing to do with court.

My friend thought that once turned over to the court, store released the rights to the court and store can not press charges or demand money. Is he right about it ?

Can store ask for money ? If you don't pay can store claim the money in regular court or small claims courts ? If so, does he have to pay attorney and court costs plus money ?

Does state of California allow the store to claim money even after court handled the case and fined him !

I appreciate all the help I can get from your knowledge and experience. Thank U all.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California.

An adult friend of mine with no record prior to this was caught shoplifting worth $100 and turned over by store to the police. After paper work released to appear in court. Before court appearance, received letter from lawyer representing the store to pay $400 within 15 days. My friend went to court, fined $100+costs, came to $620.

My friend showed letter from store lawyer to the court lwyer and he says that has nothing to do with court.

My friend thought that once turned over to the court, store released the rights to the court and store can not press charges or demand money. Is he right about it ?

Can store ask for money ? If you don't pay can store claim the money in regular court or small claims courts ? If so, does he have to pay attorney and court costs plus money ?

Does state of California allow the store to claim money even after court handled the case and fined him !

I appreciate all the help I can get from your knowledge and experience. Thank U all.
Yes, the store can demand this money. It is totally separate from the criminal court. It is a civil remedy. You can be sued for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">