• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft (CA - Frys Electronics)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_peanutman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

Recently, I was caught at Frys Electronics for petty theft, with the value of the property was under $60, and I am currently 20 years old. I was first detained by the LP, and then an officer arrived to write me a citation with a date for appearance in court. I am very confused about this whole process of appearing in court. I've read a lots advice suggesting I speak with an attorney, but I am currently a dependent college student, and can not afford one. Is there anyone at the court house that could provide me with similar services?

What would be the worst and best case scenarios?

I apologize if this is a repeated question, but I'd really appreciate any amount of help.

garrula lingua

Frys usually follows through in sending a witness for trial.

The date for your first appearance is written at the bottom of your ticket - it's the arraignment. Ask for a public defender (tell the Bailiff you need a PD). You'll have to fill out a financial statement for the court, to show you qualify for the PD.
Tell the PD the facts of the case. Tell him/her whether it's your first time & whether you have a 'squeaky clean' record.
The resolution is up to the Prosecutor. You may get a conviction for petty theft, with community service and booking (counts as one day jail to make it a priorable offense - means the next petty theft can be charged as a felony).

Sometimes, a Prosecutor will reduce the charge. It all depends on who the Prosecutor is, what the facts of the crime are, and how well the PD can negotiate.

If I were you, I'd tell the PD that I was willing to give up all my 'free' time and do loads of community service in return for a reduction of the charge. A theft conviction can affect employment for years to come.

the_peanutman

Frys usually follows through in sending a witness for trial.

The date for your first appearance is written at the bottom of your ticket - it's the arraignment. Ask for a public defender (tell the Bailiff you need a PD). You'll have to fill out a financial statement for the court, to show you qualify for the PD.
Tell the PD the facts of the case. Tell him/her whether it's your first time & whether you have a 'squeaky clean' record.
The resolution is up to the Prosecutor. You may get a conviction for petty theft, with community service and booking (counts as one day jail to make it a priorable offense - means the next petty theft can be charged as a felony).

Sometimes, a Prosecutor will reduce the charge. It all depends on who the Prosecutor is, what the facts of the crime are, and how well the PD can negotiate.

If I were you, I'd tell the PD that I was willing to give up all my 'free' time and do loads of community service in return for a reduction of the charge. A theft conviction can affect employment for years to come.
Awesome, thank you so much. It is unfortunate to think that this will affect my future employment chances, but truthfully, I am in no position to complain.

You mentioned requesting a public defender, when will I have an opporutnity to do this? Will that be the day of my hearing, or would I have to request one earlier in the days?

Thank you for all of your help. Any more advice is always welcomed.

the_peanutman

*Bump*

Any other input from people? It would make me feel a lot better if I could get as best of understanding on what to expect going in.

I am still really shaken up by the notion of getting cited :[

Isis1

*Bump*

Any other input from people? It would make me feel a lot better if I could get as best of understanding on what to expect going in.

I am still really shaken up by the notion of getting cited :[
in answer to your previous question, you will request a PD at the beginning of your arraigment. ask the bailiff when you check in.

the_peanutman

Maybe you should have thought of the consequences prior to stealing anything. You should be "shaken up". Maybe that will prevent you from doing the same thing in the future.
Fair enough. It was absolutely a poor decision on my behalf, and I am ashamed to have been swayed by the temptation. I can only hope this experience has made me realize just how serious of situation this could balloon into had it continued into a habit.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

The Judge has to find that you qualify for the PD, therefore they cannot be appointed as your attorney until the first appearance - the arraignment.

Whether the clerk or the Bailiff checks you in, let them know you want a PD.

racer72

Not mentioned yet and something Fry's will do is require you to pay a civil penalty. This can be up to $500 and Fry's will go after the maximum. This is in addition to any criminal penalties you receive. Fry's spends more on loss prevention than any store it's size.

the_peanutman

I found this on some random website:
Hmm.. thank you for the reference. I'm fairly certain they have "legal" proof of my crime. But I'll definitely consult a PD to discuss my options when I can.

I really appreciate all of your advices. If you have any other comments, please feel free to add onto the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">