• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty theft or grand theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wascis01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I was working as a caregiver in a family and i once stole some jewelry from their house. they confronted me and i returned what i took and now they are claiming that there are some other jewelry missing and some money which i did not take.

the police officer told me that it was hard to believe because by me admitting taking something once i cannot prove that i did not take the other things she is referring too.

the family is pressing charges and i am trying to figure out what is the next step for them and for me.

i called the detective on the case and left my number but she did not get back up to now.

what am i facing? what am i suppose to do now?

seniorjudge

Q: what am i facing? what am i suppose to do now?

A: I apologize, but due to the recent string of unfortunate events in this country, our crystal ball has broken.

JBurns

I think it is absolutely deplorable that you would violate the position of trust this family has placed you in.

Unfortunately, they can't charge you based on the "prick factor" of the offence. The difference between a misdemeaner and a felony will be determined by the TOTAL dollar value of the stolen goods. They will likely charge you for the stuff you returned as well, I know I would.

That being said, however, the judge certainly can and will take the elements of the offence into consideration when sentencing you.

My best advice to you is to lawyer up!

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I was working as a caregiver in a family and i once stole some jewelry from their house. they confronted me and i returned what i took and now they are claiming that there are some other jewelry missing and some money which i did not take.
This is the problem of being an admitted thief. Everything that turns up missing, is now going to have this family pointing at you. How long ago did you work for them? What was the value of the items you stole? Did this family report the theft to the police immediately & were the cash & other items listed on the original report? Were there other care givers working alongside you?
Unfortunately, caregivers stealing from the homes of the sick, handicapped and elderly who they're supposed to care for, is not uncommon. Sickening yes, just not uncommon.

the police officer told me that it was hard to believe because by me admitting taking something once i cannot prove that i did not take the other things she is referring too.
See what I mean?

the family is pressing charges and i am trying to figure out what is the next step for them and for me.
Don't worry about their next step. If they have filed a police report and a detective is working the case then they will do whatever the detective asks of them.
Your problem is what are you going to do. Have you actually been charged with a crime yet? If so, then you should do as suggested, hire an attorney. If you haven't been charged with a crime yet, then you can wait until then, or, you can make arrangements with an attorney now, so when you are charged and arrested, you don't have to make collect phone calls from some over-priced, lousy connection, half working phone in your jail cell.

i called the detective on the case and left my number but she did not get back up to now.

what am i facing? what am i suppose to do now?
Well if the jewelry you stole was worth stealing, I would guess you will be charged with a felony. If you only stole plastic beads, your an idiot. Well either way, your a thief and evidently not a very good one at that.
Just be patient and save money, I imagine the charges will reach you eventually.

dj09

I have a question, "is this a forum to seek advices from or harassment?" :rolleyes:

Either answer the damn question or shut the s****ole up :)D censoring by myself)

outonbail

I have a question, "is this a forum to seek advices from or harassment?" :rolleyes:
Obviously a rhetorical question, which you don't actually want an answer to.

Either answer the damn question or shut the s****ole up :)D censoring by myself)
Wow, this reads like a direct order,,,, coming on your third post at this site no less. This is just not a very good sign.

I can already see that were going to have to find you some adult supervision.

cyjeff

Obviously a rhetorical question, which you don't actually want an answer to.

Wow, this reads like a direct order,,,, coming on your third post at this site no less. This is just not a very good sign.

I can already see that were going to have to find you some adult supervision.
Not to mention a calendar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">