• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft, mental disorder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

politicaljunkie

Illinois, Will County

Backstory:
I suffer from bipolar disorder (documented by psychiatrist) and a movement disorder. Recently, I had an invasive brain surgery done (Deep Brain Stimulation) roughly 7 weeks ago to treat the movement disorder. Since then, I've had trouble sleeping, but nothing to cause serious concern, until this week.

I was arrested in a local walmart for petty theft of a PlayStation 2 game. However, I had no intention or no real reason to steal this game. I do not own a PlayStation 2, nor did I walk into walmart to steal something; on the contrary, I needed to buy gym shorts and an energy drink, as I was about to head to my boxing class.

I had trouble sleeping due to a manic episode (feelings of invincibility, no need for sleep, etc.) and had not slept for roughly 2 days prior to the offense. I was "alert, but unaware". By the time I had entered the walmart, I started to "hallucinate", (this is looking back at the event, I had no idea what was going on at the time) seeing imagery, people talking, and in no complete control over my actions, as if I was possessed. Completely forgetting what I needed, a person(hallucination?) led me to the electronics department. This is where things get hazy: I remember being "frozen" holding a package, people looking at me, seeing propane tanks, then being stopped in the parking lot, taken into the LP office, and having a cop arrest me. as soon as the cuffs went on, I kind of snapped back into reality, but do not recall everything. The statement I wrote was pretty intense, it mentions a person named "mrs. crow" and how "she liked the violent images". I barely recall writing it.

My question is, do I have a viable defense? This criminal behavior is new to me, even in my juvenile days I had no criminal convictions or arrests, I was an outstanding citizen. I have people who can attest to my good character, and prove that if I did this, I had to be under severe emotional distress (lack of sleep) or not in a normal mental state.

Would it be possible for me to get a public defender or court appointed attorney? I'm a 19 yr. old college student who is handicapped and afflicted with a mental disease, I pay for school out-of-pocket and currently work 1 or 2 days a week, at most.

This is a first time offense, would I be able to get the charge dropped altogether?

I am going back to see my psychiatrist before the court date to see if he can help me, I do not want this happening again, it is not like me to commit a crime or have the urge to. Would this work in my favor if a judge saw this?

Should I plead guilty or not guilty?

Trickster

Hey, I'm not about to tell you what to do. But if I were in your very, very, very precarious position I wouldn't rely on it as a defense. Think of something more clever and get back to us. :rolleyes:

CourtClerk

I had invasive brain surgery....

but I was on my way to a BOXING class, where I could potentially (even accidentally) be hit in the head.:rolleyes: Alrighty then.

CJane

I had invasive brain surgery....

but I was on my way to a BOXING class, where I could potentially (even accidentally) be hit in the head.:rolleyes: Alrighty then.
Oh come on, that PLUS the energy drink after 2 days of no sleep because of a manic episode?

AND THEN s/he's going to go get beat in the head.

I actually think a "mental illness defense" is pretty accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">