• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty theft w/prior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcarlucci

What is the name of your state? california

I was caught shop-lifting (clothes for my daughters and no, they were not naked waiting for their mom to come home with the clothes she had to steal to dress them. I was just being greedy and wanted to get more for my daughters than I could really afford - dollar amount was just over $100) and my court date is next Tuesday, the 10th. The letter I received from the d.a. says I am being charged with petty theft w/prior (over 5 years ago for same stupid thing). My question: Is there anything I can do to pursuade the judge to take it easy on me, such as a letter? Is there a chance I may get jail time (i've never gone to jail)? Does the fact that I am the mother of 5 children and have lived in my home (that I own with my husand) for about 18 years mean anything to the court? what can I say to help my case? PLEASE give me some advice asap because I am extremely nervous about my day in court. thanks

Last edited:

E

EnemyToTheState

"Does the fact that I am the mother of 5 children and have lived in my home (that I own with my husand) for about 18 years mean anything to the court?"

Were you caught stealing food or clothing for your hungry/naked children or was it something less noble?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">