• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone conversations with sheriff. Miranda?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadinMinnesota

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN
I was contacted, by phone , by a deputy in the local sheriff's office. He told me that a complaint had been filed against me , and asked me some questions about the matter.
I answered his questions honestly, and explained the situation to him.
I called him back about a month later, wanting to know how the matter was being resolved. He told me that the case had been turned over to the county atty., and that once it was reviewed, I would be contacted.
I am now ,again, experiencing anxiety about this matter.....wondering if I should have told him that I wanted to speak to a lawyer before answering his questions.....but he never brought that up....no miranda....
If...and it would be a stretch....but if I do get arrested, does the fact that he obtained information from me without warning me of my Miranda rights negate the info I gave him? :confused:

CdwJava

If you were contacted by phone, you were not in custody, thus Miranda does not apply.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">