• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sofiab72078

What is the name of your state? Illinois. My ex- husband just went to his local police dept to file a phone harrassment report on me. I'll admit, I did text him a few times this morning regarding child support. (i'm aggravated by his excuses) In the past I filed 2 reports on him for threats and non-stop calls. My police dept told me they could only put it on report unless he does something. (and they never called him to warn him) My question is, his family works in the police dept and they are very, very good friends with the town president. I got a call from the police dept, w/ my ex there and our kids, letting me know my ex was filing a report and the next time this happens again they will have a warrant out for my arrest. Is that true? Should I get a copy of that report? I just don't want my ex to lie about the situation and try to get me in trouble because he has the town on his side.... (my ex's family is very involved in the town's politic's)

snostar

You can get a copy of the report by filing a FOIA request. Why not just stop hassling the ex and only communicate when necessary regarding the children? Simple, huh?

JETX

sofiab72078 said:
My question is, his family works in the police dept and they are very, very good friends with the town president.
Wow.... I have never heard of a town having a 'PRESIDENT'??? Does George Bush know about this??
Oh, and how was your statement a question???

I got a call from the police dept, w/ my ex there and our kids, letting me know my ex was filing a report and the next time this happens again they will have a warrant out for my arrest. Is that true?
How are we supposed to know???

Should I get a copy of that report?
Depends. What do you want to do with it??

seniorjudge

sofiab72078 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois. My ex- husband just went to his local police dept to file a phone harrassment report on me. I'll admit, I did text him a few times this morning regarding child support. (i'm aggravated by his excuses) In the past I filed 2 reports on him for threats and non-stop calls. My police dept told me they could only put it on report unless he does something. (and they never called him to warn him) My question is, his family works in the police dept and they are very, very good friends with the town president. I got a call from the police dept, w/ my ex there and our kids, letting me know my ex was filing a report and the next time this happens again they will have a warrant out for my arrest. Is that true? Should I get a copy of that report? I just don't want my ex to lie about the situation and try to get me in trouble because he has the town on his side.... (my ex's family is very involved in the town's politic's)
Q: Is that true?

A: Yes.

JETX

snostar said:
You can get a copy of the report by filing a FOIA request.
Sorry, but NOT true. Most departments make a 'public access' report available upon request. Of course, certain specific information is redacted.... which is likely the exact information that she is pursuing. There is no way, short of a court order or subpoena, to access the FULL police report.

snostar

JETX said:
Sorry, but NOT true. Most departments make a 'public access' report available upon request. Of course, certain specific information is redacted.... which is likely the exact information that she is pursuing. There is no way, short of a court order or subpoena, to access the FULL police report.
Ok, FOIA was not the necessary request. But I know for certain that I had no problem getting copies of police reports that I filed or were filed against me, these were simple one page reports. These same reports were supoenaed in my case and were exact replicas of those I recieve by a public request. Maybe it doesn't often happen, but it does happen.

seniorjudge

snostar said:
Ok, FOIA was not the necessary request. But I know for certain that I had no problem getting copies of police reports that I filed or were filed against me, these were simple one page reports. These same reports were supoenaed in my case and were exact replicas of those I recieve by a public request. Maybe it doesn't often happen, but it does happen.
How did you get your police reports?

(What did you have to do?)

snostar

I went to the police station, provided them with the dates the reports were filed, the name of the party they were filed by (if not myself) and provided them with identification. I was included as a party in all of the reports I requested. I never even filled out a form, the clerk just wrote down the name and dates. Sometimes it took a few days, and sometimes they produced the report immediately. This worked the same for two separate police stations. At one point I was even calling the station ahead of time and they had the reports there waiting for me when I arrived with identification.

seniorjudge

snostar said:
I went to the police station, provided them with the dates the reports were filed, the name of the party they were filed by (if not myself) and provided them with identification. I was included as a party in all of the reports I requested. I never even filled out a form, the clerk just wrote down the name and dates. Sometimes it took a few days, and sometimes they produced the report immediately. This worked the same for two separate police stations. At one point I was even calling the station ahead of time and they had the reports there waiting for me when I arrived with identification.
Hmmm...well, that's not the first time I have been fooled....

I thought there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">