• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone harrassments?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

I have a problem, my sister who lives in another state has left her abusive husband. She is staying with family right now with her kids. He has been called her anywhere from 50-220 times daily, home phone, cell phones, parent's cell phones, my father's employment...this has been going on for weeks. Now he has come across my cell phone (we had to block our house phone from his number) Mind you I'm in NY and over 800 miles away from him and her. He now calls my cell, threatening me to talk to my ex spouse and give him reasons to fight for custody (no reasons) tell my current husband our little girl I'm expecting isn't his, lol...he basically has just called me on that cell everyday from 10 am until 5:30 am was the latest. I like to leave my phone on b/c that is the way most family friends contact me, and I have my son's on vacation with their dad right now for the summer and that is how that contact me to talk or for emergencies. Does anyone know how I can make him stop. He has been asked 3 times now, my husband even called him and told him to leave me out of it and alone. But he's still calling. He lives in Mississippi and I'm in New York.

angiesmom

Some ideas I found at http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cellular.verizon/browse_thread/thread/64a8a23d248dcc7/8d4993bedc9b2ea7#8d4993bedc9b2ea7

If you have selectable ringers by caller or groups, you COULD make a phonebook
entry
for the offending number, and select "silent" for the ringer.
While not as good as call blocking -- it will stop
annoying ringing at inconvienet times.

Nokia phones allow you to block calls from certain numbers so that the
phone doesn't ring, and you can't pick it up. Caller ID, of course,
must be transmitted with the call for this to work. It worked on my
3285 and 6185. Don't know whether it works on lower-end phones like
AT&T's 1200 series or the 5100 series.

Call verizon and report this as a harassing call. (Or whoever your provider is)

Hope this helps some.

rlrl

if you report an annoyance call...

to verizon I believe you use *57 to trace the calls, then you open a case with the annoyance call bureau. if 2 or more calls are traced to the same # verizon forwards the calls to the police. you then file a complaint for aggravated harrassment with the police. you have to be willing to press charges i believe

xylene

blackcloud312 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I have a problem, my sister who lives in another state has left her abusive husband. She is staying with family right now with her kids. He has been called her anywhere from 50-220 times daily, home phone, cell phones, parent's cell phones, my father's employment...this has been going on for weeks. Now he has come across my cell phone (we had to block our house phone from his number) Mind you I'm in NY and over 800 miles away from him and her. He now calls my cell, threatening me to talk to my ex spouse and give him reasons to fight for custody (no reasons) tell my current husband our little girl I'm expecting isn't his, lol...he basically has just called me on that cell everyday from 10 am until 5:30 am was the latest. I like to leave my phone on b/c that is the way most family friends contact me, and I have my son's on vacation with their dad right now for the summer and that is how that contact me to talk or for emergencies. Does anyone know how I can make him stop. He has been asked 3 times now, my husband even called him and told him to leave me out of it and alone. But he's still calling. He lives in Mississippi and I'm in New York.
If you haven't called the police, kick yourself, and then call them and the phone company.

Keep a log of when he calls. Hang up. Do not engage him.

If the police tell you there is nothing they can do, call them again.

Only criminal punishment will likely stop this for good.

rlrl

probably...

you file aggravated harrassment charges and i would imagine the police assist you in filing the charges. i believe you have to be willing to press charges

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">