• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prob23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
If i am a victim of assault and robbery and they believe i am a drug dealer are they allowed to keep my cell phone without a warrant or any paper work? I was told it is needed for evidence

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
If i am a victim of assault and robbery and they believe i am a drug dealer are they allowed to keep my cell phone without a warrant or any paper work? I was told it is needed for evidence
How did they get your phone in the first place?

If you have insurance on your phone through your cell phone company you could simply call and file a claim. Report it lost, technically you aren't lying because you don't know exactly where it is. If you tell them it is stolen they may require a police report be filed, and wouldn't that be funny.

Antigone*

If you have insurance on your phone through your cell phone company you could simply call and file a claim. Report it lost, technically you aren't lying because you don't know exactly where it is. If you tell them it is stolen they may require a police report be filed, and wouldn't that be funny.
It does not appear to me that the poster is worried about their phone. The poster is worried about what is on the phone that can be used against them

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since you were robbed was the phone one of the things that was taken from you?

If not then I am confused about how or why the police have your phone. What does your being a drug dealer have to do with also being a crime victim? You are apparently leaving out a good portion of the story.

prob23

I was robbed and assaulted which was a seperate incident and then after a report was filed my car was seized and my dorm room was searched a week or so later and then during the searches and seizures my phone was taken from me and i was told it was being used as evidence for a few days. I am curious if this is legal or if it was taken from me illegally.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Ah, so there was a search warrant involved.

What does the search and seizure have to do with you being robbed? Were you already under investigation for dealing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">