• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pink summons for loud car exhaust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joewynton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was driving in brooklyn and received a pink summons (not a ticket with any monetary amount) to appear in court due to a loud exhaust pipe in the car. It said I had 48 hours from the time of issue to refute the summons or get it fixed and appear in court. The cop had told me that if I get it fixed by the court date, I don't have to pay a fine or anything of that sort but I still needed to appear for it.

The car was like that since we bought it from the previous owner. So I did the right thing and got it fixed but I got the work done in a junkyard so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg (got it done for cheap). The downside is that I don't have like a legit receipt which shows that I have actually gotten this done.

Now I have two issues:
1. I cannot appear on court on the day of the summons because I will need to be in California at the time. So I need to get this postponed or preponed. What do i need to do for this?
2. On the day that I appear, can i simply state that I have completed the necessary repair on the car or do I need to have some kind of proof.

Please let me know as the court date is coming up in two week's time and i need to get the date moved up or down depending and furnish the necessary proof.

You Are Guilty

Now I have two issues:
1. I cannot appear on court on the day of the summons because I will need to be in California at the time. So I need to get this postponed or preponed. What do i need to do for this?
2. On the day that I appear, can i simply state that I have completed the necessary repair on the car or do I need to have some kind of proof.
1. Your best bet is to call the court listed on the summons and ask them what their procedure is for getting a postponement when you'll be out of the state on the return date. (Each court has its quirks, but generally, you have to send them a written request for an adjournment along with your proof of the reason why you're asking).

2. Well, you can, but do you really think the courts would function if all they had to go on was the Honor System? You do have options, though. Here's the form for Nassau County (can't seem to find the Kings County version online). Either way, while the forms are a little different by county, the underlying information is the same. Read through it and see which method(s) might work for you.
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/TPVA/Docs/PDF/pdcn68.pdf

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not in your state, so take this with a grain of salt.

In MY state, for a correctable violation (such as this appears to be), you would take your vehicle for an inspection by a peace officer who would then sign off that the corrections have been made.

You Are Guilty

I am not in your state, so take this with a grain of salt.

In MY state, for a correctable violation (such as this appears to be), you would take your vehicle for an inspection by a peace officer who would then sign off that the corrections have been made.
One guess what the form I linked to says :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">