• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea Deal or No Plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

landkshaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA Law

1st charge - theft by taking (misdemeanor)
2nd charge - obstruction (misdemeanor)

Happened at age 17 (12/11/09); Turned 18 on 12/14/09
Priors: @ age 15 same charge; paid fine and served probation

Plea deal offer: 12 mths probation each charge; run concurrent; $500 fine or comm svc; must complete HS and find a job; ask for non-reporting probation after 5 mths (my request not a part of current offer)

Is this a good deal?

cyjeff

Considering that the judge could have thrown the book at you, this is about as good as it gets.

However, this would be an excellent question to ask your lawyer.

donkort

What is the age where one is automaticallly tried as an adult? I believe, in Georgia, it's 18. You're fortunate: you were still a juvie when you committed your larceny.

If you over 18, I would have said try for a violation--but this deal is really pretty good considering that you have a prior. So I would take it. Ask your attorney about how you could expunge (erase) your juvie record after you complete your probation; this is quite important for quality of life, for even with a juvie record, it might be hard to get such things as an apartment and a credit card.

And remember: after you turn 18, everything counts. It's much harder to expunge a criminal record for crimes you commit after you turn 18. Please stop committing crimes, and go to college and get a job. If you're bored, just read a book or surf the internet (for legal things, of course!) It's really in your own best interest. College and employment enhances the quality of your life, and lengthens it as well. I've seen too many criminals die young because of the diseases which are picked up and jail and prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">