• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea? Guilty or No Contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyluch

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi, I have a summons for consumption of Alcohol in public streets. When I initially went to court to inquire about the cost of the fine which I pleaded guilty to, the ticket wasn’t filed at the time. I went back a few days ago and inquire again. The amount is $70.00, which is not bad. I’m unemployed and I’m schedule to appear in court on Jan 16 to enter my plea. My question is: I’m not sure if I should continue to plea guilty or no contest. I am job searching and I’m worried if I have to put this on my application, would it show up on criminal check, etc??? Also, if I plea no contest, what happens next??:confused:

CdwJava

If the job application asks if you have been convicted, then you can answer "no" ... provided you have NOT been convicted of a crime.

I wouldn't stress on it too much.

- Carl

CavemanLawyer

A plea of guilty or a plea of no contest results in the same thing, the court finding you guilty. No contest means you just aren't going to "fight" the charges as opposed to coming right out and admitting your guilt. For purposes of a background check it should look the same.

Most employers are not going to care about such a conviction since its on the same grade of offense as a speeding ticket.

You could plea not guilty and request a trial. At worst you'd be convicted and face a higher fine...and more court costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">