• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleaded Guilty to Cover for Cousin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yellorowz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

I don't have all the details, but I would like appreciate any thoughts on the matter as I understand it.

The 20 yr. old grandson of an aquantance recently pleaded guilty, and was convicted of a robbery (first offense) committed by his cousin, and got 10 years. The grandson, "Arthur" was involved in a couple other robberies with his cousin, but not the one that he is convicted of. His cousin has a long rap sheet, and had he been convicted of this offense, he would have been sent away for a very long time. So, Arthur decided to take the rap, believing, with the persuasion of his older, more wordly, and manipulative cousin, that he would get very little time for a first offense. (The cousin recently spoke with Arthur's grandfather, and laughed at how 'stupid' Arthur was for taking the rap.)

After the sentencing, Arthur's lawyer made a statement to him saying that the victims of the robbery Arthur was convicted of were friends of said lawyer. If this is indeed the case, what are the chances of a mistrial in Arthur's case?

And, if there isn't the chance for a mistrial, might there be any legal recourse for Arthur other than spending 10 years in prison for making the mistake of wanting to protect his cousin?

yellorowz said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

I don't have all the details, but I would like appreciate any thoughts on the matter as I understand it.

The 20 yr. old grandson of an aquantance recently pleaded guilty, and was convicted of a robbery (first offense) committed by his cousin, and got 10 years. The grandson, "Arthur" was involved in a couple other robberies with his cousin, but not the one that he is convicted of. His cousin has a long rap sheet, and had he been convicted of this offense, he would have been sent away for a very long time. So, Arthur decided to take the rap, believing, with the persuasion of his older, more wordly, and manipulative cousin, that he would get very little time for a first offense. (The cousin recently spoke with Arthur's grandfather, and laughed at how 'stupid' Arthur was for taking the rap.)

After the sentencing, Arthur's lawyer made a statement to him saying that the victims of the robbery Arthur was convicted of were friends of said lawyer. If this is indeed the case, what are the chances of a mistrial in Arthur's case?

And, if there isn't the chance for a mistrial, might there be any legal recourse for Arthur other than spending 10 years in prison for making the mistake of wanting to protect his cousin?
Taking the "rap" for someone else, now there is a no brainer. :eek:

yellorowz

howamidoing said:
Taking the "rap" for someone else, now there is a no brainer. :eek:

I hope that neither of your kids gets into legal trouble one day, and needs a mother with enough love and compassion that she'd do anything for them. It doesn't sound like you understand those concepts here. "Arthur" did this out of a 'no-brainer' love for, and misguided devotion to his cousin, and nothing else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">