• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Answer!!!!!!! Breath Test as a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freenightminute

Minnesota

I was told once that you could refuse a breath test/breathalyzer if you're under 18. Is this true? Or if you do will it result in other consequences.

Son of Slam

freenightminute said:
Minnesota

I was told once that if you're under 18. Is this true? Or if you do will it result in other consequences.

You can refuse a breath test/breathalyzer at any age.

Happy Trails

........and yes, it will result in consequences.

Minnesota:
BAC test refusal carries both a criminal and an administrative penalty. The law considers a BAC test refusal to be a drunk driving offense.

- The criminal penalties for BAC test refusal are equal to the criminal penalties for drunk driving at all offense levels.

- Administrative penalties — License revocation for 1 year (15 days mandatory for a 1st offense, 180 days mandatory for 2nd and subsequent offenses). The offender is eligible for a limited license after the mandatory revocation periods. Licensing actions are imposed even if a test is obtained without consent following refusal.

- The penalty for BAC test refusal is greater than the penalty for a drunk driving conviction.

reyn562

In Florida, when you sign your driver license you are agreeing to any sobriety tests. Now, were you driving when you were given a breathalyzer test? If you weren't driving that is a totally different story. If you were given a BAC to simply verify that you were (not driving) underaged drinking, then you do have the right, without consequences, to refuse a BAC test.

yelly

Minnesota-false reassurance

If only that was true--
I am also from Minnesota.
I tried that once when I was under 18. It did not work. I had not been drinking at the time so it turned out to be fine. I would not suggest it.

It is really up to the police whether they would want to charge you with something for refusing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">