• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reds

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was terminated from my job on Friday because they say I lied on my application. The question on the application asked if I was ever charged with a criminal offense. I was with a girl who was shoplifting and I was charged 4 years ago. The court said that it is a petty offense and I do not have to answer yes to that question. Do they have the right to do that? Can I put up a fight?
I would really appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

D

dweezer007

What were you charged with?

You must have been charged with shoplifting (theft) as your employer found a charge on your record. Send a letter to the police department along with the charge for retrieval of your criminal record (some states charge $3, some are more). Call the police department and ask them how much they charge and the address you need to send your request to. Some states have websites with these forms available for download. Some states allow you to use your credit card & charge the amount online & retrieve your record online.

R

robking

I'm in NY. But I don't think you can fight it. Most companies are scared of terminating someone unless they have good solid reasons. Alot of companies fire employees for false things in their application.

In NY, petty larceny is still a "Misdemeanor" and shows up in records checks. It's better than having a Felony conviction, but not much better cause it still shows up in a background check.

You should have not plead guilty to the shoplifting charge if it was your first offence, as it will effect you the rest of your life. Even most property managers, before renting an apartment, are now doing criminal background checks on people.

I've seen alot of job applications, and I guess the key would be to read it correctly, as when it comes to this, many are different.
Some may just ask "have you ever been convited of a Felony?", or others may ask "have you ever be convicted of a Misdemeanor or an other crime? Alot of employers are just interested in Felony's and don't ask about lesser charges. But what ever they ask, you must answer the truth or they can terminate you at any time, even years later when they find out you Falsified Company Documents (the application) or you were only hired under false pretence.

In the future if it asked if you were convicted of any crime, just try to leave that one blank, unless they spot it and make you fill it out. If you leave it blank, and you get hired, and then they later find out about your charge, it would be harder for them to fire you. They would be more upset with the person who hired you without getting you to fill in the complete application.

HomeGuru

Reds said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was terminated from my job on Friday because they say I lied on my application. The question on the application asked if I was ever charged with a criminal offense. I was with a girl who was shoplifting and I was charged 4 years ago. The court said that it is a petty offense and I do not have to answer yes to that question.

**A: the court did not say that.

Do they have the right to do that? Can I put up a fight?
I would really appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

**A: your employer is correct in that you did in fact, not tell the truth on your application.

Son of Slam

If you are an asset to your company, nobody cares what you put on your application. Maybe you should find work in a service that doesn't care that you are a criminal. Like Rockstar, Circus Ringmaster or Welder.

B

badtenant

Dont forget THE BIG ONE:::::::::

POLITICIAN !!!!!!!!!!OOOH THAT HURTS

==================================
Son of Slam said:
If you are an asset to your company, nobody cares what you put on your application. Maybe you should find work in a service that doesn't care that you are a criminal. Like Rockstar, Circus Ringmaster or Welder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">