• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms_sarah2u

What is the name of your state? The name of my state is Louisiana. The arrest took place in Waco Texas
I am a very concerned Mother for my now 21 year old Son. I dont know where to turn for help. I have a bail bondsmen trying to play me.
This all started when my son moved to Texas to find work at the time was 17 near 18 years old, living with his Uncle. He met a girl five years older. He started doing drugs with her. They had a fight, he was arrested, he spent his 72 hours and I posted his bond. Because of information on the police report the DA posted as a felony. The girlfriend went to the DA office and stated she did prevoke him and she hit him also he was just trying to keep her out of jail. He was given a state appointed attorney that requested his charges from a felony to a mesdemenor, requesting parole, anger management classes, and a fine as well a mandatory jail time. I was not with my son at court that time and he pleaded for a trial because he did not know what to do and of course he did not want to go back to that jail, he is clean now with no more drugs and it really does scare him how far things went out of controll. The court appointed attorney then dropped his case and went to work at the DA's office. We have had no more communication from anyone till now. My son now has no court appointed attorney and no communication at all with anyone. Now, The bail bondsmen have called me I had my son call him back he gave him two weeks to get the money together he stated just court cost paid to him would stop a bench warrant, then to call a week early to say my son missed comming in this Friday when it was to be next Friday to talk to the judge and make his plea and pay his fine. Now wants him to report to the bail bondsmen office and pay his money and he will take him to see the judge. I just think something is so wrong about this all. I called municiple court to try to pay a fine he may have and nothing is in his name to be paid, I wanted to try and set up a meeting with a judge for him to plea and was told he dont except appointments like that is why they have court. We are expected in Texas from Louisiana @ 9;30am @ the bail bondsmen office. What in the world can I do because I really dont trust this bondsman? He knows the girlfriends sister and the family hates my son because of this incident. This same sister just tryed to file the girlfriend as missing to force her to call her at home in Texas. What is my legal standing? How do I keep him out of jail if I cant find the amount of fine is to be paid? How do I get a state appointed attorney for him? How do I get this parole from Texas to Louisiana? What is my next step as time ticks away.

garrula lingua

Forget about getting the parole from Texas to La - that's a lengthy process, both states have to agree to transfer parole & the court has to release (very unlikely).

Your son's major problem would be if he missed a court appearance or didn't do something the Parole/Probation Officer or Judge ordered him to do.

Is your son in violation of his parole/prob ? He has to get his butt to his parole/prob officer & make sure he's in compliance.

gawm

How do I get a state appointed attorney for him?
Did the charges get dropped to a misdemeanor or is he still being charged with a felony? If they were dropped to misdemeanors they won't provide him with a court appointed attorney.

garrula lingua

quote:
gawm Quote:
(How do I get a state appointed attorney for him?)
'Did the charges get dropped to a misdemeanor or is he still being charged with a felony? If they were dropped to misdemeanors they won't provide him with a court appointed attorney.'

Good Lord!!!! In Texas, when jail time is at risk, the defendant can't get a court-appointed attorney ??????? She did say jail time was ordered & sounds like son (who apparently belted his gf) was fighting that aspect.
WOW! What a great state for Prosecutors - no opposing attys in a huge # of cases !
I can see 'no right to an atty if only a fine is at stake', but this isn't that class of msdm, is it ? So, they don't get attys, even when jail is at stake ? WOW...

gawm

garrula lingua said:
quote:
gawm Quote:
(How do I get a state appointed attorney for him?)
'Did the charges get dropped to a misdemeanor or is he still being charged with a felony? If they were dropped to misdemeanors they won't provide him with a court appointed attorney.'

Good Lord!!!! In Texas, when jail time is at risk, the defendant can't get a court-appointed attorney ??????? She did say jail time was ordered & sounds like son (who apparently belted his gf) was fighting that aspect.
WOW! What a great state for Prosecutors - no opposing attys in a huge # of cases !
I can see 'no right to an atty if only a fine is at stake', but this isn't that class of msdm, is it ? So, they don't get attys, even when jail is at stake ? WOW...
Okay, they do get attorneys.:) Must be nice. Does he still qualify for one? If so, just Google the Texas fair defense act, there is a lot of information there on how to get an attorney.

ceara19

garrula lingua said:
Forget about getting the parole from Texas to La - that's a lengthy process, both states have to agree to transfer parole & the court has to release (very unlikely).

Your son's major problem would be if he missed a court appearance or didn't do something the Parole/Probation Officer or Judge ordered him to do.

Is your son in violation of his parole/prob ? He has to get his butt to his parole/prob officer & make sure he's in compliance.
It's almost impossible to have probation transferred from one county to another WITHIN Texas.

OP,
Your son needs to do whatever it is the bail bondsman tells him to do. At this point, the bondsman is the one with the most to lose because he put up the money to get your son out of jail. If junior fails to show up, the bondsman can lose the money they put up.

I'm very surprised that the bond hasn't been pulled and/or a warrant issued for your son's arrest considering he left the state in the middle of all this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">