• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help: Found Not Guilty, How to Expunge Record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelmoore196

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was falsely accused with theft and found not guilty not to long ago. I did not have an attorney with me at court because I could not afford one. I was wondering if there is a lawyer out there who could help me and let me know how I can get the record expunged because I am concerned with what would show up on a background check when applying for jobs. Thank you for your time and help.

michaelmoore196 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I was falsely accused with theft and found not guilty not to long ago. I did not have an attorney with me at court because I could not afford one. I was wondering if there is a lawyer out there who could help me and let me know how I can get the record expunged because I am concerned with what would show up on a background check when applying for jobs. Thank you for your time and help.
Why didn't you get a court-appointed attorney if you couldn't afford one?

If you're concerned about what would show up on a background check, run one on yourself and see what comes back. You can do this yourself online.

michaelmoore196

Because it was only a class C Misdmeanor and I was told I could not have one for a case such as this. I guess the charges have to be more serious such as murder or armed robbery. What web site can I run a background check in. And depending how detailed a background check is run it may show up but it may not, but why take the chance I want it expunged. And is the theft charg comes up and says that I was found not guilty in some people minds that still looks bad.

seniorjudge

michaelmoore196 said:
Because it was only a class C Misdmeanor and I was told I could not have one for a case such as this. I guess the charges have to be more serious such as murder or armed robbery. What web site can I run a background check in. And depending how detailed a background check is run it may show up but it may not, but why take the chance I want it expunged. And is the theft charg comes up and says that I was found not guilty in some people minds that still looks bad.
If you were found not guilty, you have no record to expunge.

michaelmoore196

How to Expunge Record?

But, from what I understand is that the fact that I was accused of theft can still come up on some background checks even the fact that I was still found not guilty depending how in depth a company does a background check. And as I said before even in some peoples mind even though I did not commit theft and was found not guilty that still does not look good when applying for a job. I find that is not fair and want to know how to expunge the record where none of this would come up. I first need to know where to start and if anyone knows please let me know as soon as possible. I am sure there is probably some sort of time limit as to when you can expunge and when you can no longer do it.

CO19

From what I understand is that the fact that I was accused of theft can still come up on some background checks even the fact that I was still found not guilty depending how in depth a company does a background check.

>TXDPS only reports convictions. You can check yourself at http://records.txdps.state.tx.us/ . However, arrests will come up if they conduct an on-site county criminal check.

I first need to know where to start and if anyone knows please let me know as soon as possible. I am sure there is probably some sort of time limit as to when you can expunge and when you can no longer do it.

> You really should contact a criminal defense attorney about expunging records in TX.

Kane

Michael, I responded one of the other times you posted this, but I'll try again.

There is no central database. Arrest records, conviction records, and disposition records are spread out and kept by multiple different agencies.

Some of the agencies that might have records of your case include the local police dept., the municipal court where you got your acquittal, and the city or county clerk. DPS may have a record of it as well.

If you want all those records deleted or destroyed, you have to file a petition, have a hearing, and obtain an order from a District Judge. And the petition and the order need to be served on all the agencies you think might have records you want expunged.

There's nothing automatic or easy about the process. You really should just shell out the money for a lawyer to do it for you, if you really want it done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">