• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! Need Help Asap Concerning Room Mate Dealing Drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jason523

Michigan
I have just found out that my room mate has been using cocaine and dealing it to his friends and co workers. My room mate and I recently went and reported it to the police station and stated that we wanted to remain completely confidential. They had us talk to the undercover narcotics agent. We told him everything. He told us to page him when he and his friends are smoking and using drugs in the living room and make sure they can smell it from the outside of the apartment. A few people toldme that no matter what he will find out we told...that he has a right to know his accusers. We are very afraid of him finding out since his friends and very dangerous and we don;t want to fear for our life everytime we step outside. We called the undercover officer and he assured us that it will all be anonymous and he even said if we wanted he could just not even do anything and leave it be. My friends say not to trust him...police are just out to get their "drug busts" etc and do not care about the people who inform them. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE!!!!

B

blameshifting

Jason523 said:
Michigan
I have just found out that my room mate has been using cocaine and dealing it to his friends and co workers. My room mate and I recently went and reported it to the police station and stated that we wanted to remain completely confidential. They had us talk to the undercover narcotics agent. We told him everything. He told us to page him when he and his friends are smoking and using drugs in the living room and make sure they can smell it from the outside of the apartment. A few people toldme that no matter what he will find out we told...that he has a right to know his accusers. We are very afraid of him finding out since his friends and very dangerous and we don;t want to fear for our life everytime we step outside. We called the undercover officer and he assured us that it will all be anonymous and he even said if we wanted he could just not even do anything and leave it be. My friends say not to trust him...police are just out to get their "drug busts" etc and do not care about the people who inform them. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE!!!!
Move and in the future be more selective in your choice of roommates

n_and

blameshifting said:
Move and in the future be more selective in your choice of roommates
What a clever poster you are!!!

OP:

Sure, police are out to get 'their drug busts'. That's what they do -- it's their job. Police officer are normal people. They are the same as you and I, except they hold a better job and wear a uniform to work.

Without knowing this particular officer, who can say? I can tell you I have yet to met a police officer who would NOT protect some one who did the right thing, which is what you did. I live in RI, and here you get a 'rat sheet' ONLY if you are sent to prison, don't cut any deals, etc. I wouldn't know about Michigan, maybe some one else here will.

Maybe you should take the officers advice, and just not do anything at this point. But, then you may face being arrested yourself when this guy does (and he will, eventually) get arrested.

Are you in a position (lease, money-wise) where you and your other roommate can get out?

dequeendistress

The officer told you to make sure they could smell it outside. Horse****.

What are you to do, open all the windows, place a fan blowing the smell to the outside of the unit thru the open window?

Come on, No DTF agent is going to tell you that.

What will happen, if any of this post is true, if the police/DTF feel that there is sufficient reason to follow thru will set up some buys with this person, and will be in the apartment probably, and will come back more than once, probably and you my friend will be there, and guess what...when the home is raided after they have their viable proof...while you are still living there...you will get a free ride to jail as well.

If any of this is true, who cares how much money it cost, who really cares about lease obligations...you would have moved.

CdwJava

If the police are going to keep the roommates out fo the case, then the officers would need to see or smell the activity from a place where they have a right to be. If the windows are open, perhaps the action could be smelled or seen from the outside. If not, then the roommates might have to let the cops in.

If you do not want to cooperate with the police to get your druggie roommate to jail, then do not be surprised when you ALL get hauled in ... after all, you are now KNOWINGLY allowing controlled substances to be used in your residence. Some states have laws against that sort of thing.

Either Pack up and move, or work with the cops to get your roomie busted somehow - or don't be surprised if you all get arrested eventually.

Carl

CdwJava

Living in a town where everyone wants to be anonymous, we catually get this kind of question a lot. So I DO hear this. They usually have two choices besides moving: cooperate in some way directly or indirectly (allowing us to make the discovery independently if possible via traffic stop or visibility), or, expect to go down when their roomie is popped.

Usually they become a C.I. and in most cases, the roommates are NOT going to be known. However, the nature of the information would virtually guarantee the ID of the C.I. to the defendant.

Carl

dequeendistress

Yes, we hear this same crappola. Only to find out this real talkative CI is in the big middle...then we all go down town

Besides who can smell a line of coke?

CdwJava

Yep.

But, like minds tend to live together. I know that none of my roomies over the years did any drugs that I knew about. And if they did, one of us would have been gone within 24 hours.

It all depends on the kind of people you hang with. You dance with the devil, you're gonna get burned.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">