• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Respond To This!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordboy324

What is the name of your state? indiana

do restrainig orders exoire wen you turn 18? i have one against me with my girlfriend. she turns 18 in less than 2 weeks. does it go off when she turns 18? thanks

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? indiana

do restrainig orders exoire wen you turn 18? i have one against me with my girlfriend. she turns 18 in less than 2 weeks. does it go off when she turns 18? thanks
When the judge signed off on the order, there should have been an expiration date. It will, most likely, be a year or two down the road from when the Protective Order was ordered. If you contact your girlfriend, or communicate with her when/if she communicates with you, you can be arrested for violating the Protective Order. If her parents don't like you, even though she's 18, I can just about guarantee that they will call the police to report the contact.

I'm a probation officer in Indiana.

fordboy324

ok welll heres the deal. its not court ordered like i broke a law. its just a protective order. her dad said he did it a week ago and her 18th birthday is in one week. i havent gotten a dang thing in the mail about it like i was told by her dad i was going to. i was also told by the judicial superior court 6 that she could have it signed off if she went up there and signed to get it off. i also contacted a social worker and she said the same thing. that doesnt make since that she wouldnt be able to see me even if she was 18. i didnt break any laws its just a protective order. that would be like my moms dad takinng a restraining order out on my dad just because he didnt like him and my mom being 36 and my dad being 42 that doesnt make since. you cant hold an adult back. she should be able to do what she wants when shes 18.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok welll heres the deal. its not court ordered like i broke a law. its just a protective order. her dad said he did it a week ago and her 18th birthday is in one week. i havent gotten a dang thing in the mail about it like i was told by her dad i was going to. i was also told by the judicial superior court 6 that she could have it signed off if she went up there and signed to get it off. i also contacted a social worker and she said the same thing. that doesnt make since that she wouldnt be able to see me even if she was 18. i didnt break any laws its just a protective order. that would be like my moms dad takinng a restraining order out on my dad just because he didnt like him and my mom being 36 and my dad being 42 that doesnt make since. you cant hold an adult back. she should be able to do what she wants when shes 18.
Even though your message is gibberish, I get the gist of what you are trying to say.
The legally accurate answer is: So long as the protective order is in place, you must abide by it.

fordboy324

thanks for putting me down. i am asking can she get it removed when shes 18? i mean shes a dang adult!!! her parents shouldnt have that hanging over her head. and i will continue to see her. if i get caught then i will get an attorney to fight this. this is rediculous. she will be an adult theres got to be something she can do

fordboy324

here is more info. i did not state this. this may change things.

Her parents and I have different outlooks on things and they had decided to threaten me that they filed a restraining order against me a week ago. Her 18th birthday is November 11th. She did not file the restraining order against me, it was her dad. I have not broken the law, abused her, harrassed her, stalked her , etc etc. She has planned on moving down where I am (Alabama) with me for quite sometime. Her dad "says" he filed one but I have no verification of that. I called the Hamilton County Judicial Court the other day and both attorneys I had spoken to said she needs to come to the courthouse after she is turned 18 and sign the restraining order off. I also contacted a social worker I knew and she stated the same thing.The judge has nothing against me as far as charges. My girlfriend and I both dont have any criminal record and we both have caused no trouble, its just that her parents and I have different views. I constantly get phone calls from her father stating he is going to kill me and that its worth a lifetime in jail as long as i stay away from her for a couple days. My father and I have both been told this. My father is one of peace and no harm so he ignores it. I have a bus ticket to go up to Indiana to get my truck thats up there and I had planned to have her come back with me. I want this restraining order deal over with. Its ridiculous. This is not something the judge ordered to me or ordered to her, its something her dad wanted and I knid of thought that she could get it taken off once shes legally and adult and out of her parents house. I will get an attorney to petition if needed but this whole deal is blown way way way out of proportion.
Hopefully you have some advice/help for me!

Thanks

Ozark_Sophist

As long as you have not been served, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it (he might be blowing smoke). Once you are served, follow the order. There should be a hearing on the order--at which time your girlfriend will be 18 (in all probability given scheduling times) and can tell the judge to drop the order.

ETA: What state are you in? Do not take her anywhere until she turns 18.

fordboy324

Thank you for the info. Im doing this all legal. I know that up until the day she turns 18 they have control over her. And Im not headed up there until the 19th of this month which is 8 days after her birthday. I have no letters in the mail, nothing on the so called order he has against me. Anyway, im just trying to get a little help.
Thanks!

CdwJava

And what is the age of consent in your state? Could SHE get in trouble for shacking up with you?

How are you going to support her in high school? Are you guys going to live on welfare or off of dad?

You can't live off of lust ... er, LOVE, alone. When the hormonal phase passes, you will have life to contend with.

Personally, i think your dad is wrong, wrong, wrong for allowing this.

- Carl

Just Blue

And what is the age of consent in your state? Could SHE get in trouble for shacking up with you?

How are you going to support her in high school? Are you guys going to live on welfare or off of dad?

You can't live off of lust ... er, LOVE, alone. When the hormonal phase passes, you will have life to contend with.

Personally, i think your dad is wrong, wrong, wrong for allowing this.

- Carl
I so agree. If I were fordboys parent I would be concerned with the girls parents contacting CPS and reporting my extraordinarily bad decision of allowing my minor sons ADULT girlfriend to live in my home.

Indiana Filer

Im in Birmingham,Al right now. Just moved down here from Noblesville,IN last month.
Ahhh, Nobletucky. That explains a lot.

Anyway, as the others have said, if you haven't been served yet, or notified by law enforcement, you really shouldn't need to worry. Her father may just be saying this to scare you off.

There will need to be a hearing before a judge before the order is put into place on more than just a temporary basis.

So, how is she going to support you? After all, if she's the adult and you're the child, she should be supporting you. What happens when she decides she wants to date an adult and not a child? Why would an adult want to date a child anyway?

fordboy324

Why?

Man, this site is redicoulous. I asked for help not put downs. CPS can'd do anything. As long as my dad has a house over my head,is feeding me,and taking care of me, that doesn't matter. There is no law that my 18 Y/O girlfriend cannot live with me. Im 16 out of high school and I have a GED with a full time job. I work 6 days out of the week. I pay my father 200$ in rent every month. Have my own transportation and its nobodies business but I have a checking account with over 3000$ in it. Im mature for my age. I know every kid says that but I have proven myself, I think. I came here for help on a certain thing I posted. Not anything else. I dont care what your opinion is about my dad, me, my girlfriend, none of it. I could care less. I dont let people like you bother me. ANY HELP would be much appreciated. Leave your smart A** comments to yourself.

Thanks!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">