• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police ability to search car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmac44182

I was pulled over leaving my neighborhood, because a car that was similar in description to mine had been driving around my neighborhood for some time, "suspicously". The police asked me for my license, and I gave it to them. Then, once they came back, they told me that they needed to search my car. They didn't ask me "if" they could, they said they need to. I have no record, and I had done nothing that caused any reasoning for a search. I am wondering if this was legal. Now I did everything they asked, even gave them marijuana that my friend had left in the car, but when it was all said and done I was arrested for possesion of illegal drugs. I understand that I should be arrested for that, but what right did they have to search my car. And as they were tearing my car apart, a call came over the system saying that the car was no even close in description to mine. Only similarities was color.

H

hexeliebe

Hire an attorney and let him/her deal with this. IF this story is as you say, your attorney could probably get the charge either reduced or dismissed.

You try to do this yourself and you'll have a fool for a client

S

sdstrooper

I'm assuming they got the description from someone who called the police. The paranoid idiot who called the police gave them a description that matched your car. The police have the right to search thanks to him because it's their duty to investigate (If they don't and something bad happens, they can be held at fault). If the description didn't match your car, then they had no legal reason to search. Get a lawyer for this one, but don't expect much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">