• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police arrested me for possession of purse that is not mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b4realz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was at a friends house when the police came looking for two individuals. The ordered everyone out of the house. I had just entered the garage doorway and was told to come out. I did. Wveryone was bought out and detained the two they were looking for were handcuffed and put in the car. Everyone was asked if they were on probation. I was on for suspended license. They asked again. I did say yes because i did not know if there was a difference in probation. I do know that it did not show up if it did at all. While standing there an officer comes out of the garage with a brown purse asking me if it was mine. I told him no. He said it was. He showed me a stack of cards which appeared to be debit/credit cards. He said that my license and state id, along with a letter was among them and the purse was mine with a meth pipe and meth inside. I had told them that my purse was in my trunk of my car parked in the driveway. They opened the trunk and found my purse. And I was taken to jail.

On my way they kept telling me that it was my purse I told them that earlier my pouch( containing Id's and a debit card) was taken along with my car by my boyfriend at the time. He bought the car back later on while I was not there my pouch and key to the car was returned to Marisa a resident at the home. She was not there at the time. But when arriving at the station and they did an inventory of my property. The purse 114.00 and my DL was the only thing entered. I did not sign for them because they were not mine. I asked about the other cards and who and where were they. I did not get an answer. Later I found out after bailing out on a possession charge that my id and the debit card were entered as evidence. Noone of the other cards with various names were entered into evidence and they were in the purse. When returning to my car The cards were scattered on the inside of the car.

Why were they able to pick me as being the owner. Because I was there? I was only near it among entering and leaving all of 3 secs. There were other people in the garage and they were called out last after the main house was cleared. I will not take this on. It is not my purse. When leaving the jail I did sign for the property because it was all listed on the same paper. I had some things that were in my pocket. Can someone give me some insight information on my defense?

TigerD

Stop talking.
Get a lawyer.
If asked any questions by the police before you have a lawyer, simply say: "Talk to my lawyer."
Seriously, stop talking. Stop trying to help yourself.

DC

single317dad

These are all questions you should be asking your criminal defense attorney. You should not discuss this matter further with anyone else, including an internet advice forum.

b4realz

I am trying to gain some knowledge or at least some imsight. I have a public defender who told me to take the deal ....if I plead guity I.d getdrig diversiom.

CdwJava

I'm going to wager that you have prior drug-related contacts, or that you are a drug user. It will be difficult to convince a jury that you were inside and a purse that was not yours with your ID also just HAPPENED to be inside as well. I have to tell ya, I've heard and seen that argument more than a couple of times. And I can get into the issue of IDs in different purses, but that's a subject for a different time.

If your attorney is recommending diversion, you might want to consider it. The alternative can be worse. This might be a good time to clean up your life.

Eekamouse

Sounds like you've been stealing purses and perhaps engaging in a little identity theft on the side. The cops obviously are not buying your story. If the purse wasn't yours, who's was it? Apparently not anyone who was present in the house, right?

single317dad

I am trying to gain some knowledge or at least some imsight. I have a public defender who told me to take the deal ....if I plead guity I.d getdrig diversiom.
Why would you not take drug diversion if offered? One of our California members can correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears under PC1000 that the charges are dismissed if you complete the requirements.

Are there other charges they're not diverting?

Those questions are mostly rhetorical, as you really need to discuss this with your lawyer.

RRevak

Are you in fact a meth user? Is anyone else in the home a meth user? Do you have prior drug convictions?

quincy

Are you in fact a meth user? Is anyone else in the home a meth user? Do you have prior drug convictions?
These are questions that the attorney b4realz contacts will ask of b4realz but these are questions that should not be answered by b4realz on a public forum. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">