• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police ask you to leave vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Leer

What is the name of your state? South Dakota
My question is about the practice of an officer asking you to leave your vehicle. Say you where pulled over and office says you where speeding or that your car license is expired. They ask you to step back to the patrole car as they fill out the ticket. Do you have to leave your vehicle and do as the officer says or can you simply decline to do so?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Leer said:
What is the name of your state? South Dakota
My question is about the practice of an officer asking you to leave your vehicle. Say you where pulled over and office says you where speeding or that your car license is expired. They ask you to step back to the patrole car as they fill out the ticket. Do you have to leave your vehicle and do as the officer says or can you simply decline to do so?

My response:

The U.S. Constitution says that every citizen has a right to "be secure in his possessions."

So, the next time you get pulled over, you can disobey the cop and stay in your car - - while the tow truck is taking it to the impound yard.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">