• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police can do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rfbdave

What is the name of your state? Ma

I got a question, im planning to go into law inforcement because i have been treated like **** in my surrounding area and seen many others, i dont do drugs or any of that **** or been convicted of a felony, i have no record, but i have police that acuse me of **** alot. So here is my question, A police officer alone with someone else, can technicaly say anything he wants on a police report if he doesnt like the person he is with, for example "he theatened my life, or he was speeding, or he got out of the car and ran, or anything they want, especialy since most cops "DONT" have camera equipment on there cars. So how would you ever win unless you have a camera straped to your head?

Two Bit

I suppose you could do that, but other people will catch on eventually.

Wtih your attitude, I don't think I'd like you in law enforcement.

rfbdave

my attitude? um the point of this post is that im going in to do the right thing and not be an ******* that people that to deal with. And to see how these cops can do whatever they want anytime.

HomeGuru

rfbdave said:
What is the name of your state? Ma

I got a question, im planning to go into law inforcement because i have been treated like **** in my surrounding area and seen many others, i dont do drugs or any of that **** or been convicted of a felony, i have no record, but i have police that acuse me of **** alot. So here is my question, A police officer alone with someone else, can technicaly say anything he wants on a police report if he doesnt like the person he is with, for example "he theatened my life, or he was speeding, or he got out of the car and ran, or anything they want, especialy since most cops "DONT" have camera equipment on there cars. So how would you ever win unless you have a camera straped to your head?

**A: with that attitude you should be a public defender instead.

rfbdave

attitude? im not giving a bad attitude im asking a question, what are you guys cops or somthing? you sound like it lol

Zephyr

rfbdave said:
attitude? im not giving a bad attitude im asking a question, what are you guys cops or somthing? you sound like it lol

with that attitude, and contempt for authority, are you sure you'll be able to pass the psych tests or personality evals?

Happy Trails

You don't give any examples of why you think you are being treated like ****.

How will becoming involved in law enforcement help you?

rfbdave

i did tell you, being accused of complete bull****, i figure i cant be treated like this and i can treat others the way they should be.

bigpigtx

I'll never treat my kids that way when I grow up********************************************************...

How many of us said that when we were 7?

Ok, now to answer your question. No cops can not say anthing they want and get away with it for two reasons (other than cameras): ethics and consequences. Most states, and well heck even the federal govt. have very detailed laws that make it a very very very serious crime for a police officer to lie in an official document or proceeding. So while the citizens that they are sworn to protect every day can lie to the police all they want with little or no consequence an officer will probably spend a good part of his life in a state or federal prison if caught.

Will they get caught? Sure! I've seen it. Police officers are usually afforded much less due process (due process that they give and protect) for themselves. Often times they are required to give statements, submit to polygraph tests, etc as a condition of their employment. Although Garrity v. NJ gives them some protection they are often convicted with evidence obtained where Garrity doesn't apply. Look at it this way; if you fib on your time sheet at work, you'll probably get fired. If a cop fibs on his time sheet he'll get fired, and he'll get arrested.

Now ethics. Police work draws 2 types of people due to the lousy pay, bad hours, un-Godly work load, and high risk. It draws people who have integrity and strong ethics, or it draws people who like to take advantage of authority. Fortunately for all of us cops are most suspicious of people who want to be cops, and someone with your ethics will never get hired.

gawm

bigpigtx said:
I'll never treat my kids that way when I grow up********************************************************...

Ok, now to answer your question. No cops can not say anthing they want and get away with it for two reasons (other than cameras): ethics and consequences. Most states, and well heck even the federal govt. have very detailed laws that make it a very very very serious crime for a police officer to lie in an official document or proceeding. So while the citizens that they are sworn to protect every day can lie to the police all they want with little or no consequence an officer will probably spend a good part of his life in a state or federal prison if caught.

Will they get caught? Sure! I've seen it. Police officers are usually afforded much less due process (due process that they give and protect) for themselves. Often times they are required to give statements, submit to polygraph tests, etc as a condition of their employment. Although Garrity v. NJ gives them some protection they are often convicted with evidence obtained where Garrity doesn't apply. Look at it this way; if you fib on your time sheet at work, you'll probably get fired. If a cop fibs on his time sheet he'll get fired, and he'll get arrested.

Now ethics. Police work draws 2 types of people due to the lousy pay, bad hours, un-Godly work load, and high risk. It draws people who have integrity and strong ethics, or it draws people who like to take advantage of authority. Fortunately for all of us cops are most suspicious of people who want to be cops, and someone with your ethics will never get hired.
ROTFLMAO!!

rfbdave

bigpigtx said:

Well it sounds like you took what i said to your heart and as a personal insult because you are a cop, and sure i will be hired, do you think im going to say, i want to get rid of dirty cops? come on man...

justalayman

bigpigtx

do you actually get up and go to work everyday or is this a romance novel you are reading.

Although MOST police do a good and clean job, there are enough bad cops around that most people have either had dealings with a bad cop, know a bad cop or are a bad cop.

I do know some bad cops. So bad that when one of their own was shot and a pursuit ensued, in a coded transmission ( yes there are code words in your line of work) that it would be preferred if the shooter did not survive. You can scoff all you want but I know the guy that was going to shoot him. Another officer that disagreed arrived at the same time and stopped him.

In a case 10 miles down the road from me, the chief of police stole $10k from the evidence room. He just got sentenced. It was dropped to a misdemeanor and no jail time imposed. He is STILL the police chief.

I have seen police enter a home with no legal justification.

I see police regularly break traffic laws with no adverse action.

Darn look at the police in New Orleans. There were the 2 that were stealing from Wal Mart ON CAMERA. The cops that beat up that 64 year old man stating he was drunk. The man doesn't drink.
I saw a man pulled from his car and thrown onto the trunk of his car (he left the ground) . This man was later found to be in a diabetic stupor and had lost all senses and actually evaded the police while driving for some time. Should he at least been initially arrested, yes. Should he have been thrown the way he was, absolutely not.

Are these the minority...we should all pray to God it is.
I do not want to be a cop. I respect the ones that do it knowing the shortcomings of the job and still do it well. I know too many that do it for the power trip and should have never been allowed to be a cop.

So since you are a cop**************...how do you stop a person that has been given near impunity when accusing another of anything. In a cops word v. citizen.the cop almost always wins...even when he is wrong :(

Wow. Training Day (the movie) is reality. They are a gang and like any gang they have their own ways of doing things and protecting themselves. I believe there are bad cops and good cops. I would say that a third of all cops are in it for the right reasons and like to help people. Having friends that are police, I can tell you that the good ones know the bad ones but do nothing to go against them because in the end they are a fraternity.

CdwJava

rfbdave said:
Well it sounds like you took what i said to your heart and as a personal insult because you are a cop, and sure i will be hired, do you think im going to say, i want to get rid of dirty cops? come on man...
And you don't think that superior attitude is NOT going to come out in the background or a psuchological screening?

I am involved in the hiring process (I do the backgrounds for my agency), and I can tell you that unless the agency you apply with doesn't care or does a poor job of screening, this "holier than thou" attitude is going to come out. The agency you apply for may not care ... or, they may decide that this is an attitude that they do not want.

And your reasons to go into law enforcement, "because i have been treated like *&#$ in my surrounding area" has GOT to be one of the WORST reasons I have ever heard to get in to law enforcement.

A person gets into law enforcement for any number of reasons, but to try and correct a perceived wrong is not the right one.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">