• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Enter My home without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is an INCREDIBLE question. Of COURSE it was legal. They reasonably believed that there was a dangerous situation and were trying to protect the RESIDENTS (that's you and your eight year old). Furthermore, this isn't even a case of the wrong "address" - this is the case of a misunderstanding between the letters B & D. In your position, I would have been thanking the police for their diligence. I can't believe you would even question it :mad:

Ozark_Sophist

From your description, the police were responding to a domestic dispute where one of the parties had a knife. Unfortunately, the officers got the apartment number wrong in the process. They took the time to ascertain the situation and then moved on. I believe their entry is legal supported by the circumstances of the call to which they were responding.

mariomac

when you are sitting in your living room and 3 cops eneter your home - guns to the side in an agressive matter - questioning you - you would question their entry - my wife and I were in AWE for over an hour - they should of knocked - not just open the door - they should of confirmed the address before entering not after they relized the had the WRONG ADDRESS

How about if I was dicing onions in my kitchen with a knife - I could of been shot

I should thank them - I want nothing to do with those incompetent hilbillies

>Charlotte<

Lurker
they should of knocked...I should thank them - I want nothing to do with those incompetent hilbillies
Knocked. Knocked? They should have knocked??

"Excuse me, Mr. Knife-Wielding Maniac, may we come in please?" :rolleyes:

I know one thing's for sure. If it had been you that was in trouble, but they weren't sure they had the right address and you were further terrorized by the assailant while the police took the time to confirm the address, you'd be raising bloody Hell about that. But when they do get it confirmed and when they do enter your home to deal with your problem, by all means tell those "incompetent hillbillies" you want nothing to do with them.

Unbelievable. Stop whining and grow up.

mariomac

Alrighty - so I guess according to all the legal minds on this board that its ok for the Police to enter your home - break your door down - do whatever it takes to get in and then say Ooooops - sorry "our bad" we got the wrong address

great - case closed - thanks for your advice :cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Alrighty - so I guess according to all the legal minds on this board that its ok for the Police to enter your home - break your door down - do whatever it takes to get in and then say Ooooops - sorry "our bad" we got the wrong address
Well, the good news is that you can sue them. In fact, please do. Go hire an attorney today.

mariomac

Well, the good news is that you can sue them. In fact, please do. Go hire an attorney today.

Relax bro - dont take this personal - its almost funny the reactions I have gotten from this simple question

why are you people on this board so negative - I just asked a question I did not know the answer too - I dont know the law or if in fact what they did was right - it was just a question - relax

calm down everyone - calm down - nothing to see here keep moving :D

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Relax bro
That's ma'am, to you.

It's hard to be polite when somebody, who is apparently not kidding, actually asks if the police acted illegally when they entered his house without knocking because they thought someone inside was being threatened by someone with a knife.

It's hard to be civil when that same person, after being told the police did not act illegally, gets in a snit and huffs and puffs and calls the police incompetent hillbillies.

I understand how much respect honest, professional, extremely competent police officers (who are in the majority) deserve, and I'm going to take offense with anyone who doesn't. If you insist on not changing your ignorant opinion, it's a free country.

You're right. There is nothing to see here. I'm out.

xylene

That's ma'am, to you.

It's hard to be polite when somebody, who is apparently not kidding, actually asks if the police acted illegally when they entered his house without knocking because they thought someone inside was being threatened by someone with a knife.

It's hard to be civil when that same person, after being told the police did not act illegally, gets in a snit and huffs and puffs and calls the police incompetent hillbillies.

I understand how much respect honest, professional, extremely competent police officers (who are in the majority) deserve, and I'm going to take offense with anyone who doesn't. If you insist on not changing your ignorant opinion, it's a free country.

Relax bro.

The guy is mad.

I would be too.

The correct (and very 'disrepectful' :rolleyes: ) answer for how to deal with police conduct that has offended or upset you (BUT WHICH HAS NOT CAUSED ECONOMIC DAMAGES OR RESULTED IN CRIMINAL PROSECUTION-in which case call a lawyer)

Write a hate mail to the police in the most vitriolic terms and to the relevant political authorities

And file a formal complaint.

mariomac

That's ma'am, to you.

So you berate someone that you find ignorant and might not know as much as you - wow - you are a class act MAAM - glad your not a teacher

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">