• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Are Harrassing Me!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okiinu

What is the name of your state? New York

I live in California; I moved here from New York 7 months ago. Before leaving, my employer tried to accuse me of stealing $1200, or so, but they had no proof. NOW, I am receiving calls from NY police dep't on my ROOMMATES phone telling me to call them and the investigator has told both of the people I live with that I am suspected of theft...I was told not to speak to them without a lawyer, but how do I get them to stop calling me?

Why don't you just speak with them? It sounds like they most likely don't have an arrest warrant or they would have just come and picked you up. If your former employer had filed a civil suit against you for the money you allegedly stole, then they would just drop by and serve the court summons. If you didn't do it, you have nothing to fear from just talking to them to see what they want. You don't have to give them any information if you don't want to.

CdwJava

okiinu said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I live in California; I moved here from New York 7 months ago. Before leaving, my employer tried to accuse me of stealing $1200, or so, but they had no proof. NOW, I am receiving calls from NY police dep't on my ROOMMATES phone telling me to call them and the investigator has told both of the people I live with that I am suspected of theft...I was told not to speak to them without a lawyer, but how do I get them to stop calling me?
The officers are not going to call you on the roommate's phone.

Ask for the officer's name, the precinct or department he works out of, and ask for the public number to that agency as well as the extension for the officer you are to speak to. IF they give you the numbers, look up the agency on-line or in the phone book, call the public number, and ask if the officer or detective in question actually works there. If he does not, you may want to consider reporting that someone is passing themselves off as an officer of their department from the old roomy's phone.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">