• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candycas

What is the name of your state? ca.
i live in a small town and the cops know everyone will i would like to know if the cops can pull you over because they know you have a suspended license no other reason this happened to my husband so now everytime they see his car they pull it over even when my daughter is driving shes 17 and has a license they give her no reason why she is pulled over and never issue her a ticket is this harrassment

J

JammyDodger

Well of course the cops pull the car over everytime they see it - because its registered to someone with a suspended licence. They way you phrased your question, it sounds as if your husband does continue to drive, so he'd better not get caught! Is it possible to re-register the car in your name, if your husband's supension is a long one?

Unfortunately I think you jsut have to accept that its the downside of having a criminal record in a small town. Everyone knows what happened and that includes the cops. If you lived in Los Angeles, I doubt your daughter would ever get pulled over. LA cops don't have time to scan and memorise every licence plate or car they see.

C

candycas

i just dont think its fair that my daughter has to be harrassed like that just because its registered in his name dont mean that hes the only one driving the car i hate this town

calatty

The police must have a "reasonable suspicion" that the driver is committing a crime or a vehicle code violation in order to pull the car over. This means they can pull your husband over if they see him driving, but, unless your daughter is doing something she shouldn't be, they do not have grounds to pull the car over if she is driving. Who the car is registered to has nothing to do with it.

harbor14

calatty said:
The police must have a "reasonable suspicion" that the driver is committing a crime or a vehicle code violation in order to pull the car over. This means they can pull your husband over if they see him driving, but, unless your daughter is doing something she shouldn't be, they do not have grounds to pull the car over if she is driving. Who the car is registered to has nothing to do with it.
Calatty, is that CA law. Here in WA if the registered owner of a vehicle is suspended I may stop that vehicle just based on that to determine who is driving. Once I determine the driver is not the RO the stop is over and I, and they, go on our merry way. I cannot use the stop at that point to investigate anything further.

mykoleary

harbor14 said:
Calatty, is that CA law. Here in WA if the registered owner of a vehicle is suspended I may stop that vehicle just based on that to determine who is driving. Once I determine the driver is not the RO the stop is over and I, and they, go on our merry way. I cannot use the stop at that point to investigate anything further.
I'd think that WA law/procedure differs in regards here due to our 0% tolerance for suspended license drivers.

#1-CA-Paralegal

Do you have a problem with punctuation? When you begin a sentence, the first letter of the very first word is capitalized. When a sentence ends, place either a period (it looks like this--> . ), an exclamation mark ( ! ), or a question mark (?). The best way to know when a sentence ends is to speak outloud the words as you type. When you find yourself pausing, there's the clue that your sentence probably ended, which means your two assignments are ready to be used: Use the punctuation mark (one of the three possibilities listed above), and then the very next word, capitalize just the first letter.

Good luck.

CdwJava

For us to stop a vehicle we must have (at least) reasonable suspicion. And a 17-year-old girl is not too likely to be confused with an older man (her father). Seeing the car moving and knowing it is registered to a person with a suspended license does not - by itself - give reasonable suspicion to detain (stop) the driver. But, they could be stopping the vehicle for other reasons and just choose not to cite the driver (the 17 year old daughter).

In my small town we frequently stop drivers that we observe if we have recent knowledge of their license status. If we don't we just run them by name and we act upon the response from Dispatch.

If your daughter is being pulled over without cause, you should contact the police department and speak to a supervisor and find out what's going on. At least let THEM know what's going on.

Carl

n_and

To the officers who responded...

Can one of you answer something for me? I don't know about CA, but in RI, if your license is suspended, your registration is automatically revoked. I've looked online but I'm not finding anything - is this the same elsewhere? I'm guessing not, because the OP's daughter has been pulled over and let go, so the registration must be valid, but I am curious to know.

CdwJava

n_and said:
Can one of you answer something for me? I don't know about CA, but in RI, if your license is suspended, your registration is automatically revoked. I've looked online but I'm not finding anything - is this the same elsewhere? I'm guessing not, because the OP's daughter has been pulled over and let go, so the registration must be valid, but I am curious to know.
In CA the registration is not connected to your license so there is no direct nexus between the two.

Carl

dequeendistress

Does the car meet all standards imposed on motor vehicles, maybe a tail light's out? Failure to signal? Seatbelt not in use?

In my experience, if you look hard enough many cruisers could be "detained" for a short while.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">