• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police intiated transport to the hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kvz1r

What is the name of your state? Florida

Is it legal for police to have you transported to the hospital via ambualnce after an accident although you have not been significntly injured or arrestsd ? Thanks :confused:

CdwJava

Kvz1r said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Is it legal for police to have you transported to the hospital via ambualnce after an accident although you have not been significntly injured or arrestsd ? Thanks :confused:
The person transported could always say, "No." They would then be asked to sign a waiver absolving everyone of liability for the non-treatment of their injuries, and could be on their way.

- Carl

CdwJava

JETX said:
Certainly more to this one than is being told.
I liked the phrase, "significantly injured" - I wonder what THAT means?

I eagerly await more details. :cool:

- Carl

Kvz1r

Significant Injuries

Significance of injries?
Non-Invasive generally shaken up by imapacts of the airbag and seatbelt.No wounds just shock effect.
Small cut above my left eye ,I guess caused by airbag. Equivelant to a small cut on the finger by a kitchen knife. I know it is good t be checked out. But there was obviously no visible injury other than less than 1 inch abrasion above my eye. Thanks

CdwJava

Okay ... and you did not refuse the transport.

When we come across someone with injuries or suspected injuries medics are often called. After that, it is a medical issue.

If you have a beef it's with the medics or with your insurance company for not paying ... provided you HAD insurance. The cops didn't slap you in cuffs and compel you to go so it's not their problem.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

Whiplash, skull fractures and brain injuries can occur from such an accident without visible injury or the person being aware of the injury. Perhaps you were hoping to avoid a blood test for alcohol?

Kvz1r

Thanks let me rephrase

I was in an accident passenger injured pretty bad, I had a small cut on my forhead. I spent 18 hours in the hospital, I complied because the tooper requested the ambulance. Here in Florida the law allows for blood test by force if required so they would get a blood test if they took someone to the hospital or not. This little inciden caused my insurance to be billed 8k plus and me abot $750.00 out of pocket. My real question is should I have been asked ir I wanted to be transported to the hospital via ambulance? I was not arrested or even under suspicion for arrest. Thanks

CdwJava

They do not have to "ask". Like with any emergency, EMS responds and does what they will do until or unless you say, "No."

As I said, this has nothing to do with the police - they didn't order you to go on the ambulance. Maybe you should ask the ambulance company if they should have asked you before giving you a lift. It's not like EMS and hospitals are in the habit of advising everyone of the price list before they treat people.

Focus any complaint you have with EMS and the hospital - not on the police.

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

Kvz1r said:
I was in an accident passenger injured pretty bad, I had a small cut on my forhead. I spent 18 hours in the hospital, I complied because the tooper requested the ambulance. Here in Florida the law allows for blood test by force if required so they would get a blood test if they took someone to the hospital or not. This little inciden caused my insurance to be billed 8k plus and me abot $750.00 out of pocket. My real question is should I have been asked ir I wanted to be transported to the hospital via ambulance? I was not arrested or even under suspicion for arrest. Thanks
Of course not, the police should have let you walk home, bleed all over yourself, pass out from either blood loss or head trauma, die then let your family sue the department for negligence. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

BelizeBreeze said:
Of course not, the police should have let you walk home, bleed all over yourself, pass out from either blood loss or head trauma, die then let your family sue the department for negligence. :rolleyes:
Yep ... we come out the bad guy either way! Mad at the expense for calling ... or mad at the negligence for not calling.

We're used to the no-win scenario ... no kobayashi-maru for us. :cool:

- Carl

Motherto6

Belize ~ I was thinking that exact thing. This is the type of person who complains when the officers do something they don't want (that may get them into trouble). Yet would have been the first to sue if something had happened and the officers did nothing.
OP ~ You should be thankful that you did not kill someone else or yourself. Stop bellyaching about the insurance costs and get some help for your drinking problem.

BelizeBreeze

CdwJava said:
Yep ... we come out the bad guy either way! Mad at the expense for calling ... or mad at the negligence for not calling.

We're used to the no-win scenario ... no kobayashi-maru for us. :cool:

- Carl
Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.

I put a 1970 Gremlin into a lamppost (the kind with the concrete base) in 1975 going 25 mph on I=70 during an ice storm and ended up with a big V where the engine used to be.

Of course, I was thinking like our idiot poster after hitting my head on the metal brace of the visor. After getting out in 15 degree weather and not feeling any blood, I walked about a mile back to my warm apartment.

Follow me now....it was 76 degrees in my apartment. After shedding my coat I went to the bathroom to survey the damage. well, you guessed it. After only two minutes in the warm apartment, the frozen blood thawed and began gushing....

When I awoke in the hospital 7 hours later the doctor told me if I had be found an hour later I'd have been dead.

But I'm NOT and I'm HERE......to haunt these hallowed halls.

SOmetimes people just don't learn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">