• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Misconduct/ Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wbdm23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Recently I have encountered an issue with a local law enforcement officer. I had developed a substance abuse problem, and a traffic stop was initiated on my vehicle without reasonable suspicion. The officer admitted to having his K9 unit hit on my car without the dog detecting any contraband, and my vehicle was subsequently searched and yielded no illegal substances. A field sobriety test was administered and I was found to not be under the influence of any type of substance. I also willingly submitted to a pbt.

I myself was a police officer from another jurisdiction and he reported my substance abuse to them and I was terminated from my position. My personal firearm was also seized during the stop and was never returned by the officer, and he has repeatedly refused to surrender my property. Each time I drive through his jurisdiction he initiates a traffic stop without reasonable suspicion and refuses to tell me the reason for the stop. Each stop he will again search my vehicle, and has never found any evidence of wrong doing.

The officer also has repeatedly told people inside his jurisdiction of my former substance abuse problem, and has repeatedly stated that if I do not stay out of his town that he will plant evidence inside of my vehicle or find some type of way to have me incarcerated inside the local jail. I have never been arrested before and spent most of my life working as a police officer.

Is there any legal remedy to handle this case, as reporting the conduct to his supervisor did not work. He is second in command at the department, and I fear that this officer will at some point ensure myself a trip to jail.

CdwJava

I had developed a substance abuse problem, and a traffic stop was initiated on my vehicle without reasonable suspicion.
So, the officer knows you because you are an addict and/or dealer, and he makes a stop on your vehicle ... and, in truth, you have no idea what his "reasonable suspicion" might have been. He doesn't HAVE to tell you, mind you.

The officer admitted to having his K9 unit hit on my car without the dog detecting any contraband, and my vehicle was subsequently searched and yielded no illegal substances. A field sobriety test was administered and I was found to not be under the influence of any type of substance. I also willingly submitted to a pbt.
Good for you. Either you got very lucky, or, you were actually clean.

I myself was a police officer from another jurisdiction and he reported my substance abuse to them and I was terminated from my position.
Gee, go figure ...

My personal firearm was also seized during the stop and was never returned by the officer, and he has repeatedly refused to surrender my property.
If he seized your property, contact the seizing agency and find why it as seized and ask how you might get it back.

Each time I drive through his jurisdiction he initiates a traffic stop without reasonable suspicion and refuses to tell me the reason for the stop. Each stop he will again search my vehicle, and has never found any evidence of wrong doing.
Then either stop passing through the jurisdiction, or speak to an attorney about suing the officer and his agency.

The officer also has repeatedly told people inside his jurisdiction of my former substance abuse problem,
That's what happens when you have such a problem.

and has repeatedly stated that if I do not stay out of his town that he will plant evidence inside of my vehicle or find some type of way to have me incarcerated inside the local jail.
This was an unprofessional comment and worthy of a complaint to the agency and might even further any lawsuit you might have against the officer and his agency.

I have never been arrested before and spent most of my life working as a police officer.
You're lucky you have not been arrested ... and the fact that you worked as an officer has no bearing on the apparently disgraceful conduct that led to your dismissal.

Is there any legal remedy to handle this case, as reporting the conduct to his supervisor did not work. He is second in command at the department, and I fear that this officer will at some point ensure myself a trip to jail.
Start talking to attorneys. If you have the money maybe you can sue the officer and his agency. On the other hand, if he can argue any reasonable suspicion for the contact, you're dead in the water.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's difficult for me to believe that you were a police officer for any length of time and have no idea what you might need to do at this point.

LdiJ

Recently I have encountered an issue with a local law enforcement officer. I had developed a substance abuse problem, and a traffic stop was initiated on my vehicle without reasonable suspicion. The officer admitted to having his K9 unit hit on my car without the dog detecting any contraband, and my vehicle was subsequently searched and yielded no illegal substances. A field sobriety test was administered and I was found to not be under the influence of any type of substance. I also willingly submitted to a pbt.

I myself was a police officer from another jurisdiction and he reported my substance abuse to them and I was terminated from my position. My personal firearm was also seized during the stop and was never returned by the officer, and he has repeatedly refused to surrender my property. Each time I drive through his jurisdiction he initiates a traffic stop without reasonable suspicion and refuses to tell me the reason for the stop. Each stop he will again search my vehicle, and has never found any evidence of wrong doing.

The officer also has repeatedly told people inside his jurisdiction of my former substance abuse problem, and has repeatedly stated that if I do not stay out of his town that he will plant evidence inside of my vehicle or find some type of way to have me incarcerated inside the local jail. I have never been arrested before and spent most of my life working as a police officer.

I would definitely stay out of that town as long as you are driving that car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">