• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Questioning ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moose444

What is the name of your state? NY

Is it mandatory to go to the police dept for questioning when they call you? I would rather not answer any questiong since a family member is involved. I have never been questioned by police and would rather not be put into a corner with a light shining on my face.

The Occultist

If they do not detain you, you are technically not required to go to them to answer questions. If you are detained, you have the right to have an attorney present. If you are subpoenaed to court, you will be absolutely required to show up and answer any and all questions.

FlyingRon

If you are guilty (or may be) it is rarely in your interest to go in to talk to them. They will tell you you're not under arrest and are free to go and start asking questions. Since you are not in custody, you do not need to be mirandaized and they probably won't so you will not be on guard. If you may be guilty, call your lawyer before agreeing to talk to anybody.

moose444

but what if I am not guilty of anything and I refuse to go in for questioning. I am uncomfortable being put on the spot since there is a family member involved and I do not feel the need to waste my money on an attorney for this.

BL

but what if I am not guilty of anything and I refuse to go in for questioning. I am uncomfortable being put on the spot since there is a family member involved and I do not feel the need to waste my money on an attorney for this.
You do not have to go to the PD station to talk , and I would advise against it.

The police have authority to " lie " to get the answers they seek .

You do not have to retain an attorney at this time.

I once was ask to go to a PD station regarding a report I made of a stolen or missing check .

I went thinking I could be of assistance . To my surprise I was being interrogated for cashing the check , then reporting it stolen .

Of course I'm streetwise as to there tactics and finally ask if they were going to arrest me .

They said not at this time but we will be getting a warrant , and I said I'll be waiting for you because I want money from the lawsuit that will follow .

They never showed . ;)

Last edited:

moose444

thanks for the replies. I called my attorney and he said if they call again to have them call him for any questions they may have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">