• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jumpman22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello I have filed a police report then was told it is suspended what does that mean and how can I get it active?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello I have filed a police report then was told it is suspended what does that mean and how can I get it active?

When you asked the police what it means and how to get it re-opened/unsuspended, what did they say?

Eekamouse

2011 I called to ask the status and was told that I could speak to an investigator and he just said suspended because I never returned their call or brought in phone records
Okay so why didn't you follow up back in 2011? Why didn't you bring them in the phone records?

CdwJava

I filed a police report for harrassment and was told the case / report is suspended for lack of cooperation
It was suspended for a lack of information to pursue it. Chances are they asked for more info from you and did not receive it, or had too little information to pursue criminal charges so they left it technically "open." Since there were no active leads, they consider it "suspended" rather than closed because there has been no finding of probable cause (to pursue criminal charges) or a determination that there exists NO probable cause. When it's in limbo and still open, it is often considered "suspended."

And given the fact this is 4 years old, don't count on them getting back on it. The case is effectively over and done with.

Jumpman22

It was suspended for a lack of information to pursue it. Chances are they asked for more info from you and did not receive it, or had too little information to pursue criminal charges so they left it technically "open." Since there were no active leads, they consider it "suspended" rather than closed because there has been no finding of probable cause (to pursue criminal charges) or a determination that there exists NO probable cause. When it's in limbo and still open, it is often considered "suspended."

And given the fact this is 4 years old, don't count on them getting back on it. The case is effectively over and done with.
So they can't close it.... I had asked the investigator or detective and he said its suspended and that means closed. Just doesn't make since how they determine closed open suspended

CdwJava

So they can't close it.... I had asked the investigator or detective and he said its suspended and that means closed. Just doesn't make since how they determine closed open suspended
Sure it does. An OPEN case is likely one that is still being actively investigated. A CLOSED case is one that has been investigated and they have either been able to file charges against a suspect, or, they could NOT file charges since there was a lack of probable cause, a lack of victim cooperation (like the victim of a petty theft declined to pursue charges), or some other exceptional event (such as the defendant's death). A SUSPENDED case is one that cannot be closed for one reason or another, but for which there are still some potential investigative leads.

Most often a case is suspended when the investigator is waiting for information from the victim and has not received it. That could be a statement, a list of stolen items, a medical bill for injuries, copies of surveillance video, etc.

A case that has been suspended for 4 years is effectively closed, but, the department may not be able to title it as "closed" due to whatever reporting policy they have that spells out dispositions.

Jumpman22

Sure it does. An OPEN case is likely one that is still being actively investigated. A CLOSED case is one that has been investigated and they have either been able to file charges against a suspect, or, they could NOT file charges since there was a lack of probable cause, a lack of victim cooperation (like the victim of a petty theft declined to pursue charges), or some other exceptional event (such as the defendant's death). A SUSPENDED case is one that cannot be closed for one reason or another, but for which there are still some potential investigative leads.

Most often a case is suspended when the investigator is waiting for information from the victim and has not received it. That could be a statement, a list of stolen items, a medical bill for injuries, copies of surveillance video, etc.

A case that has been suspended for 4 years is effectively closed, but, the department may not be able to title it as "closed" due to whatever reporting policy they have that spells out dispositions.
Thank you so much for all of your insight I truly appreciate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">