• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police want statement for car missing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiocar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oh. So I wake up at friends house and notice my car is missing. I call sheriff to report it stole or missing from drive. He asked me when was last time I seen it? I said about midnight or 10" hell it was dark" . he asked when I arrived at friends day before. I said about six or seven I came. He then proceeded to say, " bull****" on my car here at midnight because they had it on a roll off. He then started to tell me , why did you run from us? I said , what do you mean? I've been here all night and awoke to my car gone, and your saying I ran from you? I said my friend" that had left for work" knows I was here all night. He then said, you and your friend need to come to station later andfile a statement.if it don't add up you both will be arrested for filing a fake statement. It sounds like whoever took my car ran! Now the police believe it was me that ran even tho I reported it gone from drive way. I don't know if I should make a statement And friend? Its like they need more evidence to try to arrest me and want me to curve my words for them so they can pin on me. Should I just stick with the report?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oh. So I wake up at friends house and notice my car is missing. I call sheriff to report it stole or missing from drive. He asked me when was last time I seen it? I said about midnight or 10" hell it was dark" . he asked when I arrived at friends day before. I said about six or seven I came. He then proceeded to say, " bull****" on my car here at midnight because they had it on a roll off. He then started to tell me , why did you run from us? I said , what do you mean? I've been here all night and awoke to my car gone, and your saying I ran from you? I said my friend" that had left for work" knows I was here all night. He then said, you and your friend need to come to station later andfile a statement.if it don't add up you both will be arrested for filing a fake statement. It sounds like whoever took my car ran! Now the police believe it was me that ran even tho I reported it gone from drive way. I don't know if I should make a statement And friend? Its like they need more evidence to try to arrest me and want me to curve my words for them so they can pin on me. Should I just stick with the report?
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe your story. You are in a bit of a pickle because the police are pretty sure it was you who was driving. You may wish to speak to an attorney, or at least have the phone number for one handy if you decide to speak to the police on your own (not generally a wise move in situations such as this). It's possible that they will believe your story, along with the corroboration by your friend. But it's also possible that they won't believe a word you say. It's at that point that you will need the attorney.

ohiocar

I just don't understand how I file a report, then I'm the one being sout after? I mean, if I was the person they want, why didn't aresst me?

Zigner

I just don't understand how I file a report, then I'm the one being sout after? I mean, if I was the person they want, why didn't aresst me?
You weren't home and they can't arrest you over the phone :rolleyes: They'd rather wait for you to just show up on their door step.

Zigner

They came to my friends house in their vehicle and took report.
I dunno - maybe he didn't feel like doing the paperwork. Maybe he was just trying to scare you. Why don't you ask him?

In any case, you've received my advice - do with it what you will. Best of luck.

CdwJava

It sounds like the police had the car involved in some other incident - a pursuit, from the sound of it. In such incidents when the suspect gets away, it is pretty common that the suspect will report the car stolen the next day. Usually the story doesn't hold up and it's pretty clear that the suspect had been drinking the night before and likely fled because he was impaired. But, just as likely, there is often very little that can be done to prove the lie.

However, an insurance company may be inclined not to pay out on any claims in such a suspicious incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">