• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Policeman called me, should I respond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

learning2defend

What is the name of your state? California

Hello to all.

Thank you for the effort of visiting my thread. I hope you could help me in a problem that I have. Since I am not too familiar with the law, I am quite unsure of what to do with what I am in to now.

I am a hardworking employee and good standing with all the companies I worked for. I gained friends from many of them and the admiration of my managers and bosses.

Everything changed with the last company.

I sell cellphones in the malls and a top perfomer in sales and one night, I found out when I was counting inventory, there are some phones missing. I reported it to my manager and to the mall security. The bad thing is I was the only one left alone in the kiosk so I guess I am a primary suspect.

I resigned from the company because of other personal reasons and got myself a new job offer.

Then yesterday, a police officer situated in the mall called my phone and left a voice message and asked a discussion with me regaring the incident. I called back but the clerk said he wasn't available so I gave my name and phone number.

I was on my way to the mall to visit their post (thinking its the right way to do) but I realized that it would be unsafe for me because all I could say to them may be used against me and because this is my first time to get acquainted in the law, I am nervous and scared that I might make a mistake. So I decided to go straight home and think of how I am going to solve this.

For all I know, I am innocent and never did any crime for it is against my morals, religious beliefs and upbringing as a person.

I desperately need your advise as soon as possible:

Should I go and respond to the policeman's invitation or should I ignore it, wait for a subpoena and get myself a lawyer?

Thank you very much again for reading.

xylene

1)Should I go and respond to the policeman's invitation

2)Ignore it, wait for a subpoena and get myself a lawyer?
Option 2.

DON'T believe the if your not guilty what have you got to hide crowd.

Nothing might come of this.

You should also consider that the cell kiosk might sue you, and that a civil burden of proof is less than a criminal one.

learning2defend

Option 2.

DON'T believe the if your not guilty what have you got to hide crowd.

Nothing might come of this.

You should also consider that the cell kiosk might sue you, and that a civil burden of proof is less than a criminal one.

thank you very much xylene. And what is a civil burden of proof?

I would apreciate if others can also give some extra comments about the original message I created.

xylene

And what is a civil burden of proof?
I mean that the store could sue you for the stole property.

You don't need to be found criminally guilty for them to win a judgment against you.

learning2defend

thank you very much.

I hope things wont get to the point as what you described for I dont have their phones.:(

What worries me is this thing puts a bad record of me that will give me a hard time for employment in the future.:(:(:(

Any advice on how to prepare myself on such situations?

RobertMillerAtt

Thank you for your posting, and the opportunity for me to help you by responding to your question.

The answer to your specific question is going to be the same, no matter how many experienced criminal defense attorneys you question - it is not to your benefit to make any statements to the police. If they have supporting evidence and probable cause, then there is nothing you can do with your statements to change that. If they don't, then even admitting basic information about times, dates, etc., can be used against you. The police are doing their job, which includes investigating and gathering evidence to support a criminal prosecution -- and you have a fifth amendment right to remain silent and not participate in incriminating yourself.

I hope this helps. If you do have other questions, please feel free to ask anytime -- it's my pleasure, and thanks again.

What is the name of your state? California

Hello to all.

Thank you for the effort of visiting my thread. I hope you could help me in a problem that I have. Since I am not too familiar with the law, I am quite unsure of what to do with what I am in to now.

I am a hardworking employee and good standing with all the companies I worked for. I gained friends from many of them and the admiration of my managers and bosses.

Everything changed with the last company.

I sell cellphones in the malls and a top perfomer in sales and one night, I found out when I was counting inventory, there are some phones missing. I reported it to my manager and to the mall security. The bad thing is I was the only one left alone in the kiosk so I guess I am a primary suspect.

I resigned from the company because of other personal reasons and got myself a new job offer.

Then yesterday, a police officer situated in the mall called my phone and left a voice message and asked a discussion with me regaring the incident. I called back but the clerk said he wasn't available so I gave my name and phone number.

I was on my way to the mall to visit their post (thinking its the right way to do) but I realized that it would be unsafe for me because all I could say to them may be used against me and because this is my first time to get acquainted in the law, I am nervous and scared that I might make a mistake. So I decided to go straight home and think of how I am going to solve this.

For all I know, I am innocent and never did any crime for it is against my morals, religious beliefs and upbringing as a person.

I desperately need your advise as soon as possible:

Should I go and respond to the policeman's invitation or should I ignore it, wait for a subpoena and get myself a lawyer?

Thank you very much again for reading.

BL

Thank you for your posting, and the opportunity for me to help you by responding to your question.

The answer to your specific question is going to be the same, no matter how many experienced criminal defense attorneys you question - it is not to your benefit to make any statements to the police. If they have supporting evidence and probable cause, then there is nothing you can do with your statements to change that. If they don't, then even admitting basic information about times, dates, etc., can be used against you. The police are doing their job, which includes investigating and gathering evidence to support a criminal prosecution -- and you have a fifth amendment right to remain silent and not participate in incriminating yourself.

I hope this helps. If you do have other questions, please feel free to ask anytime -- it's my pleasure, and thanks again.
Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting.

I'm sure you will edit your signiture and your profile , or the moderator may .

45Frank

I'm sure you being in te Business there has to be a way to tract the phones and the useages. Someone has to have the serial numbers someplace. I came across a phone and inserted my card and stated using it and the cellphone co. contacted me within a few days.
I'm sure tech is that advanced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">