• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Policeman Threatened to Take My Bicycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tg9209

What is the name of your state? Virginia...Commonwealth, indeed.

Hi. I have a pretty simple question and would like some straight-forward, non-abrasive advice...(HomeGuru, if you have some REAL advice, and want to be civil, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts. Otherwise, refrain from comment. Your abrasive attitude to people who just want help is unwarranted.)

So here's my question: I was riding my bike on what we have in Winchester called, "The Olde Towne Mall" (Why the e's on the end?!). It's a walking-mall. Sorta European, I guess. It has signs saying no bike-riding, skateboarding, etc. However, my apartment building is on the mall, and I would only have to ride a VERY short distance to the end. I figured no big deal, because I didn't want to walk my bike. A cop car was at the stoplight, and he said to me, "Do you know you're not supposed to be riding your bike on the mall?" I confirmed I was aware. He then told me, "If I see you riding it on it again, I'm going to take it". I was shocked! Does he have the legal right to take my bicycle? Was he just trying to scare me? What's the deal? Could he potentially arrest me? Thanks for any feedback!

JETX

I am still waiting for HG's response...... and then I MIGHT offer something other than "the answer is IN your post".

mykoleary

HomeGuru, if you have some REAL advice, and want to be civil, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts. Otherwise, refrain from comment. Your abrasive attitude to people who just want help is unwarranted.)
Why's HG get ALL the glory?? I'm quite often much more rude to idiots than he is, but what mention do I get?? None!

No respect I tell ya!

dequeendistress

tg9209 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia...Commonwealth, indeed.

It's a walking-mall. It has signs saying no bike-riding, skateboarding, etc. [E]

So, what makes YOU so special that this does not apply?

T

tg9209

Haha...very nice. Not surprised to recieve a bunch of responses that were rude, uncalled for, or whatever. I'm 19 and not stupid. It's really easy to analyze...You all are those with the knowledge, we are not. So of course, trying to get help is really more struggle than it's worth. It's apparent you realize the power you possess in this situation. Some of those writing in are potentially going to jail, and desperate to get answers. I'm lucky and thankful that is not my situation.

Let me make myself clear. If you would like to help me great. If not, then damn, I'm not gonna do this dance, trying to get information by placating to the individuals with the information. The unwritten and unspoken rule of this forum is: "We have the knowledge, you don't. In return for the knowledge we possess, you must placate to us, and endure verbal barages, and then in turn once we have made you feel worthless, and we are undoubtbly in charge, we will dispense the information." Let me tell you, I'm not all about that. If you would like to answer my question, wonderful. If not and would only like to make yourselves feel better, by taking advantage of those in need, then that's really too bad that you all feel the need to do that.

If you would like to answer my question, I'd really appreciate it.

T

tg9209

Good point. Her question was a very valid one. In response, nothing makes me so special that this should not apply. I simply felt as though, it was no big deal to ride my bike a VERY short distance somewhere I was not supposed to. I realized this, and responded to the officer that I was aware of the rules. I simply did not think riding such a short distance was significant.

Clearly, I am in the wrong.

However, analyzing who's wrong and who's right is not the point of this forum. What is the point, is to have questions answered by those with legal knowledge. And again, if you want to answer my question, wonderful.

However, if I receive a response that does not answer my question or is just a hook to try to get my to placate...then expect no response from yours truly. Her question was a borderline one, and figured I'd answer it and take the opportunity to mention that I will not respond to "hooks" to placate.

What I hope you all with the knowledge understand is: My situation is different than others using this forum. I am not in dire need of legal advice. Basically, the way you all do things with other members of this forum, isn't going to work with me. I'm not gonna bow down to you all just to get legal advice. Look, if I'm 19 and can figure this stuff out, you all are much more obvious than you imagine.

The purpose of this forum should be about helping people. Instead it has become a forum based on power-struggle, and that's really a bunch of crap. Especially when people are in need.

Finally, if you all want to feel powerful or important or something of the like...Simply realize how important you would be in someone's life if you gave them an answer to a dire situation. That's a much different kind of power. I hope the difference is clear.

Regards.

P

Pfaffing85690

The reason you are not getting spoon-fed the answer you want to hear is because this is a no-brainer. And since you profess some modicum of intelligence, you should be able to put 2 and 2 together and not come up with 22.

The infraction took place in the limitations of a 'Walking Mall'. The violation occurred while you were 'RIDING' a bicycle. There is no justification within the law to qualify "a little over the speed limit", "riding just a short length" or "hurting him/her just a little bit".

Now, protract your violations out to it's inevitable conclusion. You violated an ordinance. The vehicle you violated that ordinance with can be confiscated. Therefore, the police officers 'threat' of confiscating your 'vehicle' was valid and within the limits of the law.

mykoleary

Simply realize how important you would be in someone's life if you gave them an answer to a dire situation. That's a much different kind of power.
Actually, I wish I could bestow wisdom, common sense and intelligence into posters such as yourself.

Now THAT would be a power!!

Let's break it down real simple like.

There's a law, you knew it, you broke it, and now you ask if you can be arrested for it?

I hope my hard earned tax dollars aren't going to your PELL grants...

T

tg9209

Thank you for answering my question, Pfaffing. I filtered out the unnecessary insults, judgements, etc. But the bottomline, is thank you for answering. This certainly is not as hard as you all make it out to be.

I just wish you all could stop being so judgemental and rude, and just answer with dignity and respect. It's not that hard once you respect yourself enough, to not try to lift yourself up, by putting others down. It's really too bad you all feel the need to do that at your ages. Again, I'm 19 and figured this crap out. Can we say developmentally-delayed?

Bottomline, thanks for answering. I just wish it was easier to get a question answered.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your premise and question were just so rediculous, and simplistic, right from the very beginning!

None of us could believe that a bright, obviously educated, young teenager couldn't figure this out on his own - - that you actually needed someone to tell you what you already knew!

IAAL

T

tg9209

Appreciate the comments. Some clarity as to what you were thinking is very helpful....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">